Can't login Win XP - Needs Product Activation

Jun 18, 2004
I installed windows xp 16 days ago (to be exact) and I also installed my games, programs, moved my documents, and other critical updates. Since then I worked on the new computer for 5-6 days and I created lots of documents and stuff that I don't have back-up copies of.

I tend to travel a bit so I turned off the computer and left for the trip. When I returned home, I got the Windows XP Activation message saying that I only have 15 days left to activate the computer. So I got my CD key and noticed that the computer clock was dated Jan. 25, 2002. Me being stupid, I corrected the clock to Oct. 01, 2004.

Guess what! After restarting the machine I CAN'T login in anymore. It asks me for the key and whenever I enter the key, it says that I have already activated it. Of course, this is a legit copy of win xp and I think I know what's causing the problem.

I have already installed this copy of win xp on another PC with the same key and activated it. Now my critical documents are on this machine and I can't even log on to back-them up.

what should I do? I dont' want to reinstall XP and lose everything that I have on this computer.

NJLOAD

Jun 8, 2001
Worst case would be removing the drive and hooking up to other maching to get your doc's. But I'm not sure about the activation part. I have call MS before and did an activation over the phone, you don't talk to anyone its all animated..........might try this if all else fails.

Good Luck
NJLOAD

Jun 18, 2004
Do you have the automatic phone number number?

But it would still ask for the key though, right? And the key is causing the problems.

Can I just talk to someone over at MS and tell them that I would like to purchase another key? I heard you can buy them legally from MS for $10.00 or something?

MrChad

Lifer
Aug 22, 2001
I have already installed this copy of win xp on another PC with the same key and activated it. Now my critical documents are on this machine and I can't even log on to back-them up.

That's your problem right there. You can't install XP on multiple machines with the same key. You'll need to buy a new copy of XP.

To log back in, try resetting your clock to Jan 25, 2002 from your BIOS setup screen, then booting into Windows. It may allow you to log in.

Jun 18, 2004
Nope, I can't.

I was hoping that I can maybe use DOS disk or something and boot into windows, back-up my documents, and then do whatever I have to to get everything working.

Any ideas on this.

ScrapSilicon

Lifer
Apr 14, 2001
Originally posted by: overclockingoodness
Nope, I can't.

I was hoping that I can maybe use DOS disk or something and boot into windows, back-up my documents, and then do whatever I have to to get everything working.

Any ideas on this.

knoppixlive

nihl8tor88

Aug 26, 2004
you should be able to log in to safe mode , you will not be able to log on to safe mode with networking.
you can back up your data that way.
I noticed you said that you can't log in to safe mode, but wpa will let you.
If all else fails, install xp again , but when you get the option to delete the existing windows, press esc, make a new folder to install windows to, call it Crunchy.
then you can browse c:\documents and settings\<my old profile> \myDocs etc... and
get you files off.
your welcome, i do accept diners club.

Smilin

Diamond Member
Mar 4, 2002
You have XP running on two different computers, changed your system clock past your activation date, didn't backup your "critical files" and now you're having problems? You knucklehead! Probably blaming MS over this whole thing too.

You should be able to logon to safemode otherwise you have some other problem unrelated to WPA.

Go take your illegal copy of XP off your other computer then come back to this one and activate by phone. The phone number you need will come up when you choose that option.

Edit: and don't bug us anymore until you take those steps. :roll: