Can't login to Windows 7 after running Windows Updates. Password incorrect???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shawn

Lifer
Apr 20, 2003
I ran the latest updates today after having it bug me for a few weeks to do updates. After restarting I got the error the user name or password is incorrect.

I know the password is correct because it was setup to automatically log me in at boot up. But it will no longer accept it and if I try to enter it manually is keeps telling me incorrect password. If I try to log in as administrator is says the administrator account is disabled.

I tried safe mode and the recovery console and both require a password to login so I can't roll back to a previous version.

Please help!

Icecold

Golden Member
Nov 15, 2004
I ran the latest updates today after having it bug me for a few weeks to do updates. After restarting I got the error the user name or password is incorrect.

I know the password is correct because it was setup to automatically log me in at boot up. But it will no longer accept it and if I try to enter it manually is keeps telling me incorrect password. If I try to log in as administrator is says the administrator account is disabled.

I tried safe mode and the recovery console and both require a password to login so I can't roll back to a previous version.

Please help!

Ophcrack live cd?

0___________0

May 5, 2012
If you have/can get the Windows installation disc, I believe you can use it to do a system restore by choosing Recovery Options, should be listed once you select that.

I've also heard of this recommended: http://pogostick.net/~pnh/ntpasswd/ You just make a bootable disc with the iso file on it and make it highest priority in the boot order.

sygyzy

Lifer
Oct 21, 2000
No offense but are you positive you are typing it in correctly? I have never heard of a windows update or bug that just removes or changes your password. Don't touch type - enter each character manually.

Shawn

Lifer
Apr 20, 2003
I was able to do a restore from before the updates using the install cd. Don't know how it got messed up, but the password worked again after I did that. I was able to reinstall the updates, this time without my password getting messed up.

Very strange indeed.

kennyja2

Apr 16, 2013
I had the exact same problem. This tip fixed it for me.

Start > Run>regsvr32 shgina.dll [enter] – Log off and see if you can now enter your password.

Legios

Feb 12, 2013
ophcrack live cd is awesome

I once had to use it on a new install when there was debris under a keyboard key and it didnt log the keystroke. I was able to crack the password and then figure out my "A" click didnt register, Twice.

narryed

Jul 9, 2014
Do you know the reasons why this happended to your computer?
I suggest you can check the reasons fisrt and then use some programs like Windows Boot Genius to fix which has the 40+ repair tools. You can google its name, you also can use other programs

Last edited by a moderator:

ArtShapiro

May 6, 2011
I had the exact same problem. This tip fixed it for me.

Start > Run>regsvr32 shgina.dll [enter] – Log off and see if you can now enter your password.
But it the OP can't log on in the first place, and apparently only has the one user account, how can he run the regserver?

As an aside, I always keep a spare valid local account on all my machines, figuring accounts get mangled more than Windows itself.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
ophcrack or a similar Linux boot environment is going to be the easiest.

You won't get your password, but you can set a password and / or make an account active.

Once you know how to use it, you can get into locked PC's in under 5 mins.

vsglobal

Nov 30, 2014
Oh how things stay the same. I've been trying to do a restore on a friends Win 7 Home pc and all the updates go fine until after a couple hundred (it's an OLD machine and there have been a million OS updates) when it decides it no longer likes my password. Can't get to a command line or a restore. So I did a complete recovery - twice now. Same thing. I've either got to find someone with a much newer Win 7 (and SPs) or hack the password. I don't understand how to use the .iso file of PNH (Conner's advice above).

John Connor

Lifer
Nov 30, 2012
Do you know how to burn the ISO to a CD and boot it or are you asking how to use the program?

vsglobal

Nov 30, 2014
Got a command prompt but getting message "The subsystem needed to support the image type is not present"
so now I'm guessing I need a bootable Linux CD?

vsglobal

Nov 30, 2014
Do you know how to burn the ISO to a CD and boot it or are you asking how to use the program?
Burnt the ISO to a disk but system won't boot from it.

FWIW, after entering the password, the "Welcome" displays from 1-2 seconds, then goes to bad password. It's like the password is OK but something in the processing is whacked.

Last edited:

John Connor

Lifer
Nov 30, 2012
Sounds like a total mess up. I've used that program beofre, although on XP and it worked like a charm. If your getting the welcome screen and then a bad password something is messed up in the registry or you have malware. There is a bitdefender live CD to scan the computer.

HOSED

Dec 30, 2013

vsglobal

Nov 30, 2014
Well, maybe this is a hack. I'll do the recovery and create TWO admin accounts before I start doing all(!) the updates. Maybe this way only one will get whacked and I can use the "answers.microsoft..." ruse to get back in.
Maybe

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
Safe mode with command prompt
The admin account in safe mode has no password by default
Type "cd c:\windows\system32" and enter.
Type "net user Administrator /active:yes" and enter.
Type "shutdown -r" and enter to restart your computer.
You will now be able to use a temp admin account to change the password on your other account. It most likely was corrupted during a restart after the updates.

John Connor

Lifer
Nov 30, 2012
There was a smiley in there. I fixed it.

Safe mode with command prompt
The admin account in safe mode has no password by default
Type "cd c:\windows\system32" and enter.
Type "net user Administrator /active:yes" and enter.
Type "shutdown -r" and enter to restart your computer.
You will now be able to use a temp admin account to change the password on your other account. It most likely was corrupted during a restart after the updates

Status
Not open for further replies.