Can't log into GFW Live

MDE

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
I picked up Gears of War tonight and when I tried to log into my existing Xbox Live (Gold) account it threw up an error about not being able to download the latest update. I manually installed that, and now I get this error: "The LIVE service is not available. Try again later. For current status of the LIVE service, go to www.xbox.com/support."

I've gone through all of Microsoft's troubleshooting crap and nothing has helped. I've also tried opening up ports and disabling my router's firewall (Linksys WRT54G). Has anyone else had this issue?

techgamer

Sep 19, 2007
I havent even been able to get that far. I just install GoW pc and i'm having problems loading the game. Should I return for a new disc?

RZaakir

Sep 19, 2003
I fought that for a day or so and ended up just installing it under Vista which I use exclusively for games. I know that's not a universally workable solution, I'm just saying.

From what I remember it has something to do with network connections on the machine. I do remember reading somewhere that the Cisco VPN client (which installs its own network adapter) screws with it as well and I had it on my XP install. I understand a lot of people have this on their machine.

Just throwing some stuff out there.

Wheezer

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 1999
I kept getting the generic wargame-g4wlive.exe error.

What I ended up doing was disabling all start up programs and services (except Microsoft services) and the game played fine no errors, no crashes.

Then it became a process of elimination to find out what was causing the problem...it turned out to be ATI Tray Tools was the culprit.

If you are running that program or something similar for Nvidia cards disable it and see if that helps.

You can also go through the process of elimination the same to find out what is causing your particular problem.

MDE

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Originally posted by: RZaakir
I fought that for a day or so and ended up just installing it under Vista which I use exclusively for games. I know that's not a universally workable solution, I'm just saying.

From what I remember it has something to do with network connections on the machine. I do remember reading somewhere that the Cisco VPN client (which installs its own network adapter) screws with it as well and I had it on my XP install. I understand a lot of people have this on their machine.

Just throwing some stuff out there.

I'm using Vista now actually, and this is the first major issue I've had with it. I see any Cisco VPN adapters installed, and I already uninstalled Virtual PC and VM Ware, so their network adapters should be gone.

Originally posted by: Wheezer
I kept getting the generic wargame-g4wlive.exe error.

What I ended up doing was disabling all start up programs and services (except Microsoft services) and the game played fine no errors, no crashes.

Then it became a process of elimination to find out what was causing the problem...it turned out to be ATI Tray Tools was the culprit.

If you are running that program or something similar for Nvidia cards disable it and see if that helps.

You can also go through the process of elimination the same to find out what is causing your particular problem.
The error I'm getting is just saying that Live is not available, which is wrong because I can log into Xbox Live, Zune, Hotmail, and any other Live ID service without any problems. I'm thinking this is a networking issue, and Microsoft India's wonderful suggestion was bypassing my wireless router, which shouldn't matter seeing that I've forwarded the proper ports and even put my PC into the DMZ.

MDE

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Well, I installed Gears on another PC behind the same router and it works, so it's a problem with my PC's configuration. I think RZaakir may be on to something regarding the Cisco VPN adapter.