Can't get VNC to work

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I always have trouble getting this to work, usually have to do a couple restarts of the service, couple reboots, and then eventually it works properly. Not this time.

I start the service which succeeds, but it never actually listens. Can't connect to it. At one point I had it going, but it was listening on the wrong port and it was not even the proper dimensions as specified in /etc/sysconfig/vncservers.

Current settings:

Code:
VNCSERVERS="0:root"
VNCSERVERARGS[0]="-geometry 1280x1024"

I also already ran vncpasswd and set a password. At one point I actually had it listening on the right port, but it was not even following the proper .vncstartup settings. VNC on linux is just so weird... never works the same. Is there like some kind of master config file I can edit? It seems to be very limited in what you can do.

MrColin

Platinum Member
May 21, 2003
You might want to take a look at NXserver from http://www.nomachine.com/ as an alternative to the bundled VNC. I find it more reliable and it appears more secure since it forwards over ssh. They package the server and client for several distros and they have a windows client too.