cant get my router lease an ip to my dd-wrt/tomato router in client/bridge mode

moomoopro

Jul 20, 2008
Ok so heres the laydown. I have a dlink dir 655 setup with the modem and internet connected to that. the internet works fine on the main computer and other laptops. i have another computer far away so i have an asus 520gu flashed with dd-wrt(and then later tried tomato). Both of them i tried do the client bridge. it seems to see the dlink router fine and connects to it and the network fine but the dlink router simply wont lease it an ip so it can get online(i think im saying it right? idk technical terms). it does it for both tomato and dd-wrt. ive tried doing the whole 'ipconfig /release /renew' etc things but still cant get internet.

i mean i even tried connecting to another router and i was able to get internet so its not the router, or even the firmware. im guessing theres some setting i need to put on the dir655 router.

oh, i even disabled security and had no password on the dlink router but it still didnt work. Any ideas?

Thanks

EDIT: Thanks all for the help. I just kinda messed around with it some more and I got it to work somehow. I dont know why it wasnt working before but it works now and thats all that matters really. Thanks again madwand1, always a great help :D

kevnich2

Platinum Member
Apr 10, 2004
Sounds like either a bad wireless encryption key or a setting on the asus router. I'd suggest trying WDS (If your dlink supports this) instead of client bridge mode.

arch113

Mar 3, 2005
I have a Asus 520-gu that will not work as a Wireless/ethernet bridge using dd-wrt or tomato.

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
The Client/Bridge Mode should work well when the source Router is running DD-WRT, or with a Router employing similar chipset as the Client Router.

Otherwise, your Millage May Vary.

Madwand1

Diamond Member
Jan 23, 2006
Originally posted by: moomoopro
i mean i even tried connecting to another router and i was able to get internet so its not the router, or even the firmware. im guessing theres some setting i need to put on the dir655 router.

I'm not sure what you meant. Looking at it from the router perspective -- if you can access Internet through a wired connection to the router, its wired and routing configuration is OK. If you can do the same through an ordinary wireless client, then its wireless configuration is also fine for that.

Going on, it's then a matter of looking at the bridge as a client, and correcting its configuration if needed. It's sometimes necessary to adjust the main router's settings further (e.g. some bridges need SSID broadcast although some clients don't), but this should be rare, and you should try for some time with the assumption that the router's fine, and you only need to tweak the bridge and its client further.

Running it without security while you're figuring out connectivity is a good idea. Also check that you don't have MAC filtering or anything like that enabled on the main router. Add good security once you have the rest figured out.

If you didn't do a reset to factory defaults after the flash, do it now and then go through the bridge configuration.

There's a walk-through for setting up client bridge mode in this thread:

http://forums.anandtech.com/me...id=36&threadid=2207982

If the bridge is actually connecting wirelessly and getting through to the Internet, then it should be plug & play for any additional wired clients. The client should be set up to acquire an IP automatically, and should need at most a reboot to get online. If that doesn't work, double check its automatic configuration by connecting directly to the router. If that works, then the problem is with the bridge's connection to the router, not the client.

If you're still having trouble, try simplifying the wireless options -- single mode (g-only), fixed channel, etc.