Cant get my home computers networked to play UT and Quake II

E3Art

Jun 11, 2001
sorry this is a repost but more people look at this forum

i have just networked my 2 home computers via a crossover cable. i have no problem with print and file sharing and even playing some games. I can play starcraft, starfleet command, vairous card games, and Quake I, but when i try to play Unreal Tournament or Quake II on them i cant get them to "see" each other. the name of the server never comes up in the server window. Does anyone know how to configure the 2 computers so i can Play these games? I also want to play Red Faction and RTCW, but havent tried these yet.

I know there must be something simple im missing, since i can play some games and i can use file and print sharing, I just dont know what it is. Can someone please help me?

i just tried to set the IP address to 192.168.1.10 255.255.255.0 and 192.168.1.11 255.255.255.0 respectivly and it didnt help
I have TCP/IP and IPX and Net BEUI installed

SaturnX

Diamond Member
Jul 16, 2000
How many nics are installed in each PC? My friend had a similar problem at a LAN party I went to not too long ago, he could share files etc.. but some games, the server that my pc was running wouldn't show up on his PC, he had to enter the IP manually (try that), however, since his PC had 2 NICs, I went into Device Manager and disabled in the inactive one for the time being and then everything worked.

--Mark

E3Art

Jun 11, 2001
only 1 NIC in each. as for the IP address i already tried that, see first post

Dean

Platinum Member
Oct 10, 1999

<< I have TCP/IP and IPX and Net BEUI installed >>

Why do you have three different protocols installed? All you need is TCP/IP, get rid of ipx and netbeui and then see if your computers can see each other on the network.

E3Art

Jun 11, 2001
i got it working, i realized i forgot to set my default gateway. I Have a new problem now though. the computer i start the game on has a really high ping, that seems kind of wierd to me.