can't get multiplier past 12.5x on asus A7n8x delx

svrao

Jul 1, 2003
I have a 2500+ barton running at 12.5x166 (2800+) right now but for some reason it won't let me go past 12.5?? The stock multiplier is 11.0x btw, i'm running 512mb crucial pc2700 ddr and the latest (1005) bios update for the board. Any suggestions? thanks in advance.

McArra

Diamond Member
May 21, 2003
The same here, but is normal. This board isn't unlocked over 12.5 (or something like that). Don't worry.

bjc112

Lifer
Dec 23, 2000
Can you push that PC2700 a bit further?

Up the Vdimm voltage to 2.7v

Also, if you can't boot a 170 FSB, loosen your timings a bit..

svrao

Jul 1, 2003
thanks for the info. Do you think asus will allow higher multipliers with new bios updates? I haven't tried uping the fsb at all yet. I haven't fooled around with any of the PCI/AGP ratios yet, but which ones are available with this motherboard, or does it allow you to set whatever speed you want? I don't have much overclocking experience with XPs/Bartons only the old intel chips like the p3/p2/celeron.

McArra

Diamond Member
May 21, 2003
New BIOS versions don't allow higher multiplier. I have the latest and it's exatly the same problem. Just raise the FSB and have fun (if your Ram allows it).

johncar

Jul 18, 2000
Originally posted by: svrao
I have a 2500+ barton running at 12.5x166 (2800+) right now but for some reason it won't let me go past 12.5?? The stock multiplier is 11.0x btw, i'm running 512mb crucial pc2700 ddr and the latest (1005) bios update for the board. Any suggestions? thanks in advance.

<a href="http://www.beachlink.com/candjac/index.htm">
http://www.beachlink.com/candjac/index.htm</A>
Link to Workarounds article which explains the issue, ie, no mobo/bios control over the 5th 8X Bit Value Multiplier signal circuit. Also has workarounds, but note that just resetting the 5th bit HI on a 1700 results in the new default being a Mobile 3X setting which desktops do not boot. So add'l mod/ technique is needed, but it's all in the article.
John C.

deadseasquirrel

Golden Member
Nov 20, 2001
Originally posted by: svrao
thanks for the info. Do you think asus will allow higher multipliers with new bios updates?

try looking at the guide here. change to socket view, barton, and set the fsb to 166. now, put in which multi you would like to try for.... say, 13.5x.

it will show you the socket holes that need to be connected. simply take some extremely small strands of copper wiring (from speaker wire, an old floppy cable, or anything really) and cut them so that they are short enough to form a "U" shape, which you will insert each end of that U-loop into the sockets shown. so, you'll need 5 U-loops.

trust me, it isn't very hard. just takes some good lighting, a steady hand, and decent eyesight.

in the BIOS, set the multi to AUTO. it will boot up with the multi you pinned for x 166. test it out and see if its stable.

my Tbred B 1700+ booted and ran @ 13.5 x 166 and 14 x 166. but it wanted more voltage than i was willing to give it for the moment. so you might need to increase vcore as well. whats your cooling look like?

deadseasquirrel