Can't get Dualshock 4 to pair to Sony's bluetooth adapter

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
I want to use my dualshot 4 with my PC but am having no end of trouble. I've never used bluetooth before and DS4windows has been of little help. Just what all do I need on a Windows 7 machine to get this to work? I hold the ps and share button on the dual shock while the adapter is in a usb slot on my machine and blinking blue but it just won't pair. Is there an update for bluetooth or a driver for Windows 7? I can't find it anywhere.

gZosFv5.jpg

Last edited:

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Does it work with Bluetooth now? I had the impression PS4 controllers only worked on PC when plugged in. It's entirely possible my information is out of date or just plain wrong.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
I got one of those controller with adapter kits over Christmas on sale. First plugged it in just the other night. Hadn't tried using it with the controller yet, was trying to see if another BT device could find it for pairing and it didnt. Plan on trying the controller over the weekend.

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
I can't even find bluetooth installed on my Windows 7 system. Google searches in my attempts to trouble shoot this issue suggest going into Star -> Run ->
SystemRoot%\system32\rundll32.exe shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL bthprops.cpl,,1 but when I type that in it says the file doesn't even exist. Is there a generic bluetooth driver for Windows 7 I can download somewhere?

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Is there a generic bluetooth driver for Windows 7 I can download somewhere?

You need a "Driver Stack". My understanding was that there were a few competing ones, that are usually bundled with a particular BT dongle.

Do you have a BT dongle?

TeknoBug

Platinum Member
Oct 2, 2013
Does it work with Bluetooth now? I had the impression PS4 controllers only worked on PC when plugged in. It's entirely possible my information is out of date or just plain wrong.
Always had worked through bluetooth, just that the DS4 doesn't get recognized as DS4, just some generic controller. I run DS4 SCP tool before connecting the DS4 and then it gets treated like an Xbox controller once connected.

The Sony bluetooth adapter allows Windows to see the DS4 as the DS4 instead of a generic controller, it's needed if you want to use the PS4 stream app without having it plugged into the USB. via standard bluetooth the stream app won't see the DS4.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
just plugged mine in and now logged in via remote play. Was rather easy and had no problems.

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
Ok I got it. I did not know that you have to "push" the usb adapter after it's already in the usb drive and receiving power. I presumed because it was getting power and the light on it was flashing slowly that it was ready.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
I used one on my Win10 system using the built-in Bluetooth. No extra software required.

Holding the PlayStation button together with the Share button activated pairing mode. Once paired, Windows automatically detected it as a game controller.

Last edited:

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
Bluetooth built into the motherboard? Going to have to brush up on my Desktops when Zen is available. Ye Olde i5 2500 non k is looking old in the tooth.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
Bluetooth built into the motherboard? Going to have to brush up on my Desktops when Zen is available. Ye Olde i5 2500 non k is looking old in the tooth.
It's a wireless-AC + Bluetooth mini-PCIe module that came included with my mini-ITX board (i7-4770K system). At this point, I don't remember if the board is Asrock or Zotac. The WiFi module shows a "Broadcom" chipset in Windows. Bluetooth doesn't say, but I assume it's a single Broadcom chip for both.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
mini itx?? Just what kind of gaming gpu are you running? Single slot?
NCase M1

https://www.ncases.com/

I got the black one. Crowdfunded case. Takes a full-size GPU and dual 120mm water cooling radiator.

Actually, I haven't had a screen hooked up to it for almost a year. Just using it to access Remote Desktop from work.

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
Wow, small case. I guess fitting an evo 220 into one of those would be a tough sell. But if you have that much money for a case you're probably going for watercooling anyhow.