Can't get Celeron 566 to work with p3v4x

Sydekar

Apr 13, 2000
celeron voltage is 1.5 but mb only goes down to 2.0 in it's jumperfree settings. Not trying to overclock as i know j.s. about it.

I have a s370-L asus slotket. I was using default settings on it.

Any help?

gaidin123

May 5, 2000
I have a C2 566 running at 850 on my P3V4X using an Abit Slotket !!! with no problems. Check your slotket and see if it has an auto/auto-detect jumper setting for it's voltage. The first time I stuck in the cpu the p3v4x dropped straight into the BIOS and let me configure everything and had detected that I had a C2 and gave me the proper voltage settings (and range of voltages I could select). All the jumpers on the motherboard were in their factory settings and I believe my slotket was set to its defaults as well.

If your board doesn't seem to be able to detect the cpu properly check the manual for your slotket (I don't know about the s370 one by Asus, make sure it supports the FC-PGA processors as the C2 566 and higher are all FC-PGA, NOT PPGA). If that doesn't help I'd suggest contacting the Asus tech support people since both your mainboard and your slotket are made by them. I'm sure they'd be able to help you out if nothing else works. :)

Good luck!
Gaidin

Sydekar

Apr 13, 2000
gaidin123:

First, thank you very much for you response. It's heartening to know that it -should- work.

Here's the deal. My other machine is running a p3v4x, s370-133 slotket, w/ a 600eb pent. 3.

The first time I put the Celery in the new machine, also p3v4x, and used the s370-l slotket the system wouldn't post but did an alarm type sound.

I pulled my s370-133 slotket from my other system and switched the celery onto it and changed the jumpers to reflect the celery & it's voltage. Still wouldn't post but no alarm sound.

Switched my 600eb back onto the s370-133 and popped it into the new machine. Right into bios to configure speed.

Have I possibly fried the celery?

Sydekar

Apr 13, 2000
One more thing. Where did you by your Abit Slotket and what did it run you? Will probably be worth trying it price/time wise as oppossed to other options. Thanks.

gaidin123

May 5, 2000
I know my board made a few alarm noises at really odd times (like when I was installing Win2k Pro) but they didn't correspond to the beep patterns listed in the manual (if you haven't, check the manual to see if those patterns mean anything).

It does sound like you may have a bad cpu however before you do anything I'd definitely call/email Asus' tech support about the problems you've been having.

To me it sounds like either your slotket doesn't properly recognize the new Celeron or else you have a bad chip since that same slotket and board work with a P3eb chip. :( I'd give the Abit slotket a try, it'd be interesting to see if that works better than the Asus one (in an Asus board no less).

Please post how it goes! It'll be interesting to see the outcome...

Gaidin

Bill L.

Oct 19, 1999
"Where did you by your Abit Slotket and what did it run you?"

Sydekar:

If you were registered (with an email address) I might send you the source for cheap Abit Slotket!!!s. I don't like posting commercial sites in the forums.

Bill

Sydekar

Apr 13, 2000
I took this from Asus' site:

"* Currently, Intel® CeleronTM FCPGA CPU can only be supported on Socket 370 form factor. To support Intel® CeleronTM CPU with S370 FCPGA form factor on ASUS Slot1 M/Bs, a S370-133 or S370-L rev. 1.01 adapter card must be used.

* Please set the External Frequency to 66MHz if jumper setting mode is used. In doing so, the setting for CPU Frequency Multiple can be omitted."

Am I reading it right in that I can set the mb external freq to 66 and get this puppy to work? Just ignore the CPU freq. multiple? Would I need to adjust the AGP settings on the MB since i'm setting the CPU ext. freq on the board?