Question Can't get a GPU? It's the semi-conductor shortage, silly, not miners. [VOX]

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
I call BS to this...

Vox tends to BEND truth to get views.

gpuss.jpg

SURE these guys aren't responsible in the slightest....
I think honestly a SINGLE AVERAGE GPU crypto farm has enough gpu's for an entire STATE of gamers, except California.
Because we would lie that were gaming when actually were FARMing coins too.

We saw this at the 10 series launch... its a repeat all over again. Only this time its a LOT worse because of COVID.
Now you have more bulk people who are sitting at home without jobs.
So whats the easiest thing to do if you have PC building knowledge?

Setup a passive income Rig.... and keep scaling as you can afford to do so to increase said passive income.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
Not sure we need yet another thread on this. Card availability directly follows mining trends. Sure a shortage made it a bit worse this time, but if mining did not exist, cards would have been available for reasonable prices.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Not sure we need yet another thread on this. Card availability directly follows mining trends. Sure a shortage made it a bit worse this time, but if mining did not exist, cards would have been available for reasonable prices.
I think that you guy are missing something.

Back is 2017/2018, when BTC was hitting ATHs and mining was a "thing", sure, prices on cards rose. But they remained available for purchase, "new".

This time around, we have a supply shortage of semi-conductors, substrates, and components, hence why availability itself is spotty.

Sure, mining drives up prices, but the availability issue is due to supply constraints throughout the industry, and not strictly due to miners.

Edit: Look here - laptop prices are up - is that "due to miners" too, LOL?

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Back is 2017/2018, when BTC was hitting ATHs and mining was a "thing", sure, prices on cards rose. But they remained available for purchase, "new".

no you could not find a 1080 / 1070 / 1060 for the life of you @ MSRP
Even the 980ti, 970 and 960's were hard pressed.
The ONLY gpu you could buy @ MSRP was the Titan V.
Because no one wanted a 3500 dollar card.

Do you not even recall my nightmare experience with DIGITAL RIVER and Nvidia store screwing my order saying the TitanXP was in stock and then stiffing me the card after charging me front hand?

Here 2018, and we were still seeing massive shortages....

RX480.... Radeon VII.... u didn't even see these on the shelves until the RX580 came out, and Radeon VII are still difficult to come by.

New... does not mean scalper prices.. you can get new now @ scaplers prices... only this time its a LOT worse then 2017 scalper prices because MSRP for gpu's have increased almost 100% because NVidia realized people will pay near scalper prices.

Your statement has very little support from what i remember that market at during 2017.

Inventory only started opening at the close to Turing launch.
I remember this clearly, because that crypto burnout was one of the reasons that gave nvidia an excuse to bump the 2080 prices to its all time highest prices for top tier GPU.

Edit: Look here - laptop prices are up - is that "due to miners" too, LOL?

sigh.... and you call yourself a miner... you should know the reason to this first hand...

Last edited:

Furious_Styles

Jan 17, 2019
no you could not find a 1080 / 1070 / 1060 for the life of you @ MSRP
Even the 980ti, 970 and 960's were hard pressed.
The ONLY gpu you could buy @ MSRP was the Titan V.
Because no one wanted a 3500 dollar card.

Do you not even recall my nightmare experience with DIGITAL RIVER and Nvidia store screwing my order saying the TitanXP was in stock and then stiffing me the card after charging me front hand?

Here 2018, and we were still seeing massive shortages....

RX480.... Radeon VII.... u didn't even see these on the shelves until the RX580 came out, and Radeon VII are still difficult to come by.

New... does not mean scalper prices.. you can get new now @ scaplers prices... only this time its a LOT worse then 2017 scalper prices because MSRP for gpu's have increased almost 100% because NVidia realized people will pay near scalper prices.

Your statement has very little support from what i remember that market at during 2017.

Inventory only started opening at the close to Turing launch.
I remember this clearly, because that crypto burnout was one of the reasons that gave nvidia an excuse to bump the 2080 prices to its all time highest prices for top tier GPU.

sigh.... and you call yourself a miner... you should know the reason to this first hand...

Yep, Larry must be forgetting that it was almost the exact same back during the last mining boom. As I said in another thread, if people were limited to only buying 1-2 cards per person there would not be a problem finding a card at/near msrp over 6 months past release.

Reactions: Leeea

TheELF

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2012
Yep, Larry must be forgetting that it was almost the exact same back during the last mining boom. As I said in another thread, if people were limited to only buying 1-2 cards per person there would not be a problem finding a card at/near msrp over 6 months past release.
Or if AMD/Nvidia had enough wafers (and all the other things they need) they could produce multiple times more GPUs per month and satisfy both markets, we would have a few months of a little worse supply maybe but there would always be enough GPUs at MSRP or you would only have to wait for the next batch to come out in a month not after 6months or whatever it is now.
That's what we have seen with intel, during the whole supply issues time intel was able to produce as much product as they needed for the market without having to increase prices.

Reactions: VirtualLarry

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
It probably is multiple factors. Less supply due to chip shortage/pandemic, increased demand from both gamers and large mining operations, and also scalpers, as well as etailers and distributors themselves doing the scalping.

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011
Or if AMD/Nvidia had enough wafers (and all the other things they need) they could produce multiple times more GPUs per month and satisfy both markets, we would have a few months of a little worse supply maybe but there would always be enough GPUs at MSRP or you would only have to wait for the next batch to come out in a month not after 6months or whatever it is now.
That's what we have seen with intel, during the whole supply issues time intel was able to produce as much product as they needed for the market without having to increase prices.

That presumes that there is any end to the demand for mining GPUs. They're a money printing machine, people will buy every single one they can get their hands on. "The more you buy, the more you save", hah.

If supply tripled, there would still be shortages, but there would also be three times the planet killing pollution. Mining should be banned.

Furious_Styles

Jan 17, 2019
That presumes that there is any end to the demand for mining GPUs. They're a money printing machine, people will buy every single one they can get their hands on. "The more you buy, the more you save", hah.

If supply tripled, there would still be shortages, but there would also be three times the planet killing pollution. Mining should be banned.

Exactly. Hardly anyone is going out trying to buy as many rocket lake motheboards and CPUs as they can get their hands on. They're typically buying 1 of each. Intel and AMD both often have low supply on release, but typically 6 months post-release there is almost no issue buying them.

TheELF

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2012

Well and that presumes that miners have infinite money and can just buy all the cards (and electricity) as soon as they are produced and also have no fear of crypto collapse at all.

TheELF

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2012
Exactly. Hardly anyone is going out trying to buy as many rocket lake motheboards and CPUs as they can get their hands on. They're typically buying 1 of each. Intel and AMD both often have low supply on release, but typically 6 months post-release there is almost no issue buying them.
intel increased their revenue from 70 to 77 bil in the last two years WHILE they dropped their margins from 30 to 25%
No matter what and how many of it people bought, bottom line is that intel had enough product to sell.

Intel annual revenue for 2020 was $77.867B, a 8.2% increase from 2019.
Intel annual revenue for 2019 was $71.965B, a 1.58% increase from 2018.
Intel annual revenue for 2018 was $70.848B, a 12.89% increase from 2017.

Furious_Styles

Jan 17, 2019
intel increased their revenue from 70 to 77 bil in the last two years WHILE they dropped their margins from 30 to 25%
No matter what and how many of it people bought, bottom line is that intel had enough product to sell.

Intel annual revenue for 2020 was $77.867B, a 8.2% increase from 2019.
Intel annual revenue for 2019 was $71.965B, a 1.58% increase from 2018.
Intel annual revenue for 2018 was $70.848B, a 12.89% increase from 2017.

That is not relevant at all. We're discussing a particular segment and supply on release. Your figures are for everything over an entire year.

Reactions: DAPUNISHER

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
That presumes that there is any end to the demand for mining GPUs. They're a money printing machine, people will buy every single one they can get their hands on.
But the non-commercial miners, are limited in terms of power, space, and heat-dissipation capacity, as to how many cards they can effectively "Scale up to", without building a shed/outbuilding, and getting it wired up with a secondary power service (which some of the more serious miners have done).

"The more you buy, the more you save", hah.
But isn't that just the American Way, of commerce?

mohit9206

Golden Member
Jul 2, 2013
No its not. Because then why are gaming laptops prices not gone up much? 10-20% increase in prices could be explained by chip shortage but not 200-300% increase.

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
But the non-commercial miners, are limited in terms of power, space, and heat-dissipation capacity, as to how many cards they can effectively "Scale up to", without building a shed/outbuilding, and getting it wired up with a secondary power service (which some of the more serious miners have done).

How many "Larry"'s do you think just my state alone has?
Compound the fact that the average Larry has about 15 video cards? i am assuming you have around that many if you have the hash you reported.

I think enough Larry's alone can cause a GPU shortages especially with ETH and BTC prices currently today, even if they have to give up Air Conditioning.

I dont mean to offend you Larry, but i think your not thinking very logically in this thread.
The average home brew GPU miner, will have about 10-15 cards.
I even have 6 alone.. although 4 of them are high end.
Lets not even get to Vostek, or RedPanda.

But even the average miner getting 10-15 cards.... that is 10 cards at least that could of went to a real gamer.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
But even the average miner getting 10-15 cards.... that is 10 cards at least that could of went to a real gamer.
To my credit, I've sold/given away like 5-6 cards so far, all in working condition. To "real" gamers. NOT at "scalper prices".

So I'm not exactly the worst card-hoarder in the world. (Remember that power / heat / space limitation I talked about earlier? I'm basically there, in a small 2-room plus bathroom apt.)

And I know that I've stated it earlier, but I don't own any Ampere GPUs, so don't blame me personally for any of the current shortage. Though, if you had your heart set on 1440P gaming with an RX 5700XT, I might be to blame. :p

(A little back-story for readers, when Navi10 debuted in the form of the RX 5700 / 5700XT, the drivers were no-where near up to shape, for like six months, gamers AVOIDED these cards. But like the much-maligned Radeon VII, they were great mining cards.)

TheELF

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2012
That is not relevant at all. We're discussing a particular segment and supply on release. Your figures are for everything over an entire year.
You are discussing a particular segment and supply on release because AMD and nvidia only produce enough for the one release.
They can't get their hands on more wafers and everything else they need to adjust their output depending on how well their first release sells out.
That's why ancient GPUs came back, they could get their hands on those components.