Question Can't get 4K output on MSI 3080

IamDavid

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2000
I'm stumped. I have an RTX Gaming Trio 3080 running to my 4K projector and can't get anything above HD resolution to work. The odd thing is, I get 4K when connecting to a normal monitor. I can also get 4K when switching the MSI 3080 out and replacing it with my 3080ti FE. Also, every other device I connect to the projector can also get 4K. Is the card defective or something else? Any ideas?

Thanks for any help.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Are you using DP or HDMI? Also, very odd that it works with one card and not the other. Also, are you using the same cable for both cards to the projector? If a cable is an older spec or somewhat defective, it might not support 4K.

IamDavid

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2000
Very odd indeed!
I am using the same cable and have tried a couple alternatives. I haven’t been this perplexed in a very long time.

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
What is actually happening? Does the PC allow you to select 4k or is it limited to a lower resolution? Does the projector tell you that the resolution isn't supported or just a black screen? Do you by chance have a way to hook up a second monitor to change settings on the PC?

IamDavid

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2000
What is actually happening? Does the PC allow you to select 4k or is it limited to a lower resolution? Does the projector tell you that the resolution isn't supported or just a black screen? Do you by chance have a way to hook up a second monitor to change settings on the PC?

When set to non 4K settings the projector works great. When switching to the 4K resolutions the screen goes black for a bit, then resets back to the original settings. I have a second monitor connected. I can run 4K on the second monitor. I've tried multiple combinations of single and dual monitors. I've tried multiple cables, both HDMI and display ports.

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
When set to non 4K settings the projector works great. When switching to the 4K resolutions the screen goes black for a bit, then resets back to the original settings. I have a second monitor connected. I can run 4K on the second monitor. I've tried multiple combinations of single and dual monitors. I've tried multiple cables, both HDMI and display ports.
You mentioned a second card that works. Is it possible to try it in a second pc or even under a temporary Windows installation? Did you do a DDU removal of the drivers? Just throwing out anything that may help.