Can't get 1920x1080 working

tutuava

Aug 28, 2011
Hi all, I have an issue that's puzzling me with an older computer I'm trying to set up for someone else.

I'm using a display that normally does 1920x1080 (an old NEC, Windows just treats it as a standard display on the other computer it was attached to before). But now on this new computer with a better, newer graphics card I only get the option to set it to 1600x1200 at the highest. It's an ATI 4650 1GB card and the driver is up to date. I can't seem to get any driver working for the monitor so it's just recognised as a 'standard' monitor, but it ran fine the same way on Windows XP. The 'new' computer is using Vista (latest updates).

Is there anything obvious I can look for? I really don't have a clue.

Binky

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
What cable type are you using? Some might not support that resolution.

tutuava

Aug 28, 2011
It's an old VGA cable, but it's the same that it uses on the old computer that it's attached to where it's running 1920p fine (I even have the option to pick higher resolutions on that computer although the monitor doesn't support them). When I try 1600x1200 instead it's obviously stretched and doesn't look good. It's weird because both are 2 megapixel resolutions, so I don't know why it would give me one and not the other..

Schmide, I can try to see if the cable was loose next time I have a look at it as the computer is not with me.