Can't format hard drive using FORMAT.COM in ME

Bkanneg

Jan 9, 2002
I am trying to format my hard drive using the ME version of fdisk and format.com. I can do the fdisk fine, but when I try to format the c: drive using format c: /s it tells me that /s is no longer permitted. How can I format my c: drive so that it is a system disk without the /s parameter? If I can't do that, I can't load my cd drivers and ME.

It is an old Dell Dimension XPS Pro 200n (pentium pro 200) with a 10gb Maxtor HD.

Thanks for all help.

Brian

Techwhore

Golden Member
Aug 2, 2000
When you fdisk'd the drive did you just delete the partition and fail to create a new one?

Does format c: with no switches work?

If so, you can use a 98 machine to make a 98 bootdisk then format c: /s

or worst case scenario you format c: with no parameters and pick up some generic mscdex cd rom drives off the internet. It's really not a problem.

kd7fhd

Dec 5, 2000
Even tho I own win me, I really haven't used it - - - I put it on and then took it back off.

Anyway, didn't me drop dos support? That's probably why it won't use the /s (you're trying to make a bootable hard drive partition, right?) paramater.

Get a w98 boot disk and try again.

Bkanneg

Jan 9, 2002
I don't have a Win98 machine set up right now. Any ideas on how to get a Win98 boot disk? I do have the Win98 installation CD, but I don't know what files I need to have on a disk to make it bootable. Also, my version of Win98 is the Non SE version. Did that support Fat32? IF not, how can I format it for fat32 if Win98 won't support it.

Thanks for your help.

Brian

Bojax

Jan 24, 2001
All versions of win 98 are fat32. So its ok to format in fat 32. And yes, go to bootdisk.com for all your needs.