cant find a liquid cooler for AM4

MonKENy

Platinum Member
Nov 1, 2007
Like the H100i or something similar. Everything says AM3. Newegg said corsair website but they all list as AM3 at most.

Anyone have any leads?

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
I dont think vendors have had time with the am4 refresh.

You may require a plate being mailed seperately.

Best thing to do is to contact corsair support directly, and see if they can mail you one with a purchase, or if they even have one made yet.

Crono

Lifer
Aug 8, 2001
Which motherboard? The Crosshair VI Hero has compatibility with AM3 coolers.
Most of the liquid cooler manufacturers have brackets/backplates you have to request separately like aigomorla said. I have an Arctic Liquid Freezer (360) that's compatible, but I had to request the bracket separately (only became available a few weeks ago). Corsair, Cooler Master, NZXT, etc all have a few coolers that require a bracket, usually free when you request it (may need proof of purchase).

Supposedly a few of the Cooler Master MasterLiquid units (not the Pro line, though) don't require an AM4 specific bracket:
http://www.coolermaster.com/amd-am4-ryzen-compatability/en/

Last edited:

Valantar

Golden Member
Aug 26, 2014
Asetek, which is the OEM for something like 80% of all AIO pumps (due to them having a patent on single-chamber pump+water block combos or some such) apparently messed up the physical specs of their initial production run (apparently they failed to account for the AM4 backplate having threaded sockets extending a few mm through the motherboard to the front, causing water blocks to not actually contact the CPU... :rolleyes:). This was found out quite early, but apparently correcting the error, retooling and distributing new kits has taken a long time, creating a huge backlog with pretty much every brand. You might have better luck with non-Asetek AIOs like those from Cooler Master or Deepcool.

MonKENy

Platinum Member
Nov 1, 2007
I like that cooler master liquid pro 240, I think Ill grab that one. Problem solved if its in stock. Anyone have experience with that line?

Dang it NM the Pro line is not AM4 out of the box.

Ratman6161

Mar 21, 2008
Like the H100i or something similar. Everything says AM3. Newegg said corsair website but they all list as AM3 at most.

Anyone have any leads?

I have an old Corsair H55 left over from my old build that I now use with my R5 1600. All I had to do was to buy the Am4 mounting bracket from the Corsair web site for $5.00. Also, for everything they are selling now, its already AM4 compatible. for example see:
http://www.corsair.com/en-us/hydro-series-h100i-extreme-performance-liquid-cpu-cooler which specifically lists AM4 compatibility. The only thing I might be concerned about is if you order on-line and end up getting a unit that's been in the supply chain for a while and doesn't include the required bracket.

For those who already have a corsair AIO liquid cooler but need the bracket see: http://www.corsair.com/en-us/site-search?searchQuery=am4 bracket

As I said, once I had the right bracket, making my H55 work with the AM4 CPU/Motherboard was easy.

PS: the following is what Corsair has to say about the bracket:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have CORSAIR Coolers: H50, H55, H75, H80i v2 (H80i GT), H90, H100i v2 (H100i GTX), H105, H110i GTX, H115i, you will need to order this bracket to install the cooler on an AM4 socket.

If you have CORSAIR Coolers: H60, H110i (H110i GT), H100i, the cooler is compatible with the existing AMD bracket out of the box. The AMD bracket for these coolers can be ordered here.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
bought one of the above for my h110i and it works perfect. well worth the 5 bucks

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
should be in stock on the Corsair site. i did a google search for it though as I don't recall finding it through their product browser

Ratman6161

Mar 21, 2008
Are the brackets finally in stock? I haven't seen any announcements since the "asetek messed up the design, brb" message in mid-march.
I bought my R5 the day after they became available at Microcenter back in April and they were available then though it took a week for it to arrive. Wish they would sell them on Amazon or somthing but I got one

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I just ordered a Cooler Master MasterLiquid Lite 120 for $39.99 FS from Newegg earlier today. That deal is at Amazon too, and hit SD.

It only comes with one fan (the "Lite" model, regular model includes two). But for $39.99, instead of $69.99, why not?

My first foray into liquid cooling. Hope it works out.

It's for a Ryzen 5 1600 CPU, which didn't even want to hit 3.80Ghz on the included air cooler stable, at anywhere from 1.300V to 1.420V.

dlerious

Golden Member
Mar 4, 2004
I would pass on that deal. 120 radiators aren't enough to give you any sort of decent improvement over even average air coolers.

Agree, I just bought a Thermalright True Spirit 140 Direct from Newegg for the same price. I've used a CLC once (360mm Thermaltake Water), but that was just open air while I was waiting for my Caselabs case. Temps were good, but my custom loop was better. One of the things I dislike about CLC is the hose length. It was either too short for where I wanted to mount my radiators in larger cases or too long in smaller cases.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I would pass on that deal. 120 radiators aren't enough to give you any sort of decent improvement over even average air coolers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSOcUnn1mtQ

I guess this YT video describes that.

It seems that AIOs just take longer (like, 1-2 hours) to full heat up to equilibrium temps due to the specific heat of water. The equilibrium temps is largely due to the size of the rads, and the fans employed.

But at least in my case, with the MasterLiquid 120 Lite, the water will carry the heat to the case fan exhaust port directly, rather than being mixed and swirled with the warm air already stuck inside the case, as with my current air cooler (Wraith Max).

XavierMace

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2013
While that was a great video describing AIO's in general, he didn't really directly touch on the affect of radiator size and cooling capacity. I'm a huge fan of AIO's, I've been running them for many years. All 3 PC's in the house have them. But they all have 240mm or 280mm because 120/140's simply don't have enough surface area on the radiator. If you can't fit at least a 240, you're generally better off with a traditional heatsink, unless you happen to have a case that can't fit a decent sized heatsink, but can manage to squeeze in a 120/140 radiator.

There's also the intake/exhaust debate. I've always found that I get better temps with the radiator as an intake, but not enough to make the placement a deal breaker either way.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I had the sudden thought, to try a "bigger" air cooler.

I happened to have an older, used, OCZ Vendetta 92mm tower heatpipe cooler, with a replacement Arctic Cooling fan on it.

I figured, the cooler's bigger than stock, and bigger, with more heatpipes and fins. Surely, it must be better...? Nope!

Max temps with stock cooler, stock CPU, was 72C Package Temp., in HWMonitor.

With the OCZ Vendetta, it was 79-80C.

Then again, maybe I should have run the fins under a faucet, minus the fan. There might have been some dust in-between the fins left over from prior use.

dlerious

Golden Member
Mar 4, 2004
Let us know what you get with the AIO. I like to see how far I can push, but for 24/7 I'll try to find a stable OC around 1.35 - 1.37V, it depends on temps. You start getting above 1.4V and the temps rise much faster than the MHz.

Veradun

Jul 29, 2016
What about the all new Fractal Design Celsius S24? Looks really good (and comes with the new AM3/AM4 retention ring).

XavierMace

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2013
FYI, ordered a Kraken X62 direct from NZXT this week and can confirm it includes the AM4 bracket in the box. Stock fans are definitely better than what I got with my previous X61 both in performance and noise which is nice.

XavierMace

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2013
Just a follow up, while my X62 shipped with an AM4 bracket in the box, when I requested an AM4 bracket for my X61 I was advised they are back ordered and no ETA was provided.