Can't figure out what e-mail I used for BOINC in the past, any way someone can help me find this info?

faxon

Platinum Member
May 23, 2008
I'm trying to recover my BOINC account for when the folding@home project for covid-19 is completed and taken down, as I still stand as our forum's #6 all time contributor to milkyway@home and I'd like to potentially bump that up again, but I can't for the life of me remember what e-mail I seem to have used for all my BOINC accounts. I don't think I created a special email just for them but when I go to search my inbox history for all of my boxes, I can't seem to find anything (unless google deleted it). Does anyone have any idea how to identify the e-mail associated with a given account? I've tried every e-mail i've ever used for any purpose and they've all come back as invalid. I haven't even been active on this forum in years but it'd still be nice to contribute again for the team at some point.

faxon

Platinum Member
May 23, 2008
Use the Forgot Password link on the login page for MilkyWay@home : https://milkyway.cs.rpi.edu/milkyway/login_form.php
Enter the different email addresses and see which one actually get an account recovery message.
I spent 2 hours doing this trying to figure out possible alternative emails i might have used, all coming up empty. I exhausted my entire social engineering playbook trying to think of ways i might source the correct e-mail from my own history logs but sadly I seem to have either forgotten a critical email I used JUST for BOINC or my account has been stolen =/

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
@Ken g6 may be able to directly email you, as the founder.
It looks like I can only send email to the entire TeAm, not to any individual.

Which leads to the interesting observation that I am TeAm founder on Milkyway, not TAC. :eek: I tried to log in as TAC, but I got the same message as you that the email address wasn't found. I wonder if there's some bigger problem?

faxon

Platinum Member
May 23, 2008
It looks like I can only send email to the entire TeAm, not to any individual.

Which leads to the interesting observation that I am TeAm founder on Milkyway, not TAC. :eek: I tried to log in as TAC, but I got the same message as you that the email address wasn't found. I wonder if there's some bigger problem?
Yea I've gone over it in my head all night while playing Witcher 3. I'm 100% positive I used the same e-mail as on most forums back then and i've gone through the 3 primaries I had which I've been using since 2004-6 when I created them. The original creation emails are all there from google and i've never deleted any emails in any of these inboxes, and nothing. What's more interesting is that I seem to have the same problem for Seti@home as well and I haven't checked collatz but i'm assuming it's the same there as well. That's why I initially thought there was something wrong on my end, unless someone stole all 3 from me somehow, but there's been no serious activity in years on there and while there's one rig I don't exactly recognize I'm sure @Shmee and I could figure out whose it was if I was borrowing parts from him as well back then that I forgot about. But if others are having the same issue who have been around a long time then that's definitely something to look into. Maybe tag some of the other older members who haven't been active in a while on the projects but who may still post or have email notifications on, see if they also have this issue?

faxon

Platinum Member
May 23, 2008
It is a long shot, but I sent you a PM via Milkyway. Maybe something will show up in one of your inboxes.

@Ken g6 may be able to directly email you, as the founder.
You raised an interesting idea, Im going to try and find an old gen iphone charger and plug in my old phone from then that I still have, see if an old email that's still logged I may have forgotten pops up. I doubt it though, super long shot and IDK where my old charger cables even are anymore

Reactions: Daishiki

Rattledagger

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2001
I'm trying to recover my BOINC account for when the folding@home project for covid-19 is completed and taken down, as I still stand as our forum's #6 all time contributor to milkyway@home and I'd like to potentially bump that up again, but I can't for the life of me remember what e-mail I seem to have used for all my BOINC accounts. I don't think I created a special email just for them but when I go to search my inbox history for all of my boxes, I can't seem to find anything (unless google deleted it). Does anyone have any idea how to identify the e-mail associated with a given account? I've tried every e-mail i've ever used for any purpose and they've all come back as invalid. I haven't even been active on this forum in years but it'd still be nice to contribute again for the team at some point.
Unless you've completely removed BOINC on all your computers, in you're on windows you can try using File Explorer and opening-up \programdata\boinc (programdata is a hidden directory) and you should have one account_project_url.xml per project. If you open-up one of these account_project_url.xml, you'll have one line tagged with "authenticator" and a long string of hexa-decimal numbers. Most BOINC projects allows you to use this authenticator to log-in to their web-pages and after you've managed to log-in most BOINC projects allows you to see your email-address.

Meaning, if you've used same email-address on all BOINC-projects, as long as you've got account_project_url.xml for a project that is still active, it should be possible to find your milkyway email.
Quick look, I had no problems logging into Milkyway with my account, so possibly TAC has never been a member of the Milkyway. Now interestingly enough, it seems all users are still listed at Milkyway.

As a comparison, on Climateprediction.net many are listed as "old_user###", most likely this is all users that haven't updated their settings after Europe changed their internet privacy-rules a few years ago.

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
I still occasionally get notifications about new posts in the MW@H forum benchmark thread I started there years ago.