can't export e-mail from Outlook Express...

SavedbyGrace

May 26, 2005
Hi everyone, and thanks for reading my post.

I'm just trying to build a new system, but need to export my e-mail before I take down this current system. I just used the "export" feature in Outlook Express, chose "messages" and instead of working the application gives me an error message in a tiny window that says "an error occurred while initializing MAPI".....

Anyone know how to slap the MAPI back in line? lol

I REALLY need my e-mails to go over to my next computer, as alot of the e-mails are business related.

Thanks in advance for any and all help, I appreciate your time in trying to help me. :)

Sincerely,

byGrace

SavedbyGrace

May 26, 2005
Man you rock catrats....

I'll try that now. :)

Thanks sincerely,

byGrace

SavedbyGrace

May 26, 2005
didn't work...

my "make default" button is greyed out, so I can't "check/uncheck" that feature at all..?

Any other ideas? And thanks again for the help...this is important for me. :)

Sincerely,

byGrace

catrats

Aug 30, 2001
It sounds like you're using Outlook Express 6 and it is already set to be the default program to handle the mail. In this case, follow these directions as a substitute for the "Change your MAPI Settings" directions in the article.

- Go to the Internet Options control panel and select the Programs tab
- Select any program other than Outlook Express from the dropdown menu for E-mail
- Click OK

You may have to restart your machine first but see if you can now export your messages.

catrats

Aug 30, 2001
Ok, scratch that previous reply. It seems exporting e-mail messages from Outlook Express is only used when you're trying to import them into Outlook and then, only when you have Outlook installed at the same time.

For what you're trying to do, you can simply make a backup copy of your personal message store. Follow the directions in the following Microsoft Knowledge Base article to backup your mail along with your address book, mail account information, and news account information.

How to back up and recover Outlook Express data