Can't Decide.

Discussion in 'Motherboards' started by fastamdman, Feb 2, 2013.

1. fastamdman

fastamdman Golden Member

Hey guys I am stuck on what motherboard to buy. I currently have a 2600k processor and I have a gtx 680 on the way from a member here :) I am wanting to overclock, *currently running a 4.5ghz oc* and I am wanting a good reliable lasting board that won't give me to many issues.

I know some boards can be picky with memory *my gigabyte ud3-z68xp was for sure* so this is the ram I will be using.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231615

If someone can give me there opinions on things I would really appreciate it. I haven't kept up much on the z77 motherboards since I bought my z68 sandy bridge setup. Only reason I am switching is because a friend of mine REALLY needed an upgrade so hes buying my setup cheap and I am "upgrading" slightly lol.

I am thinking about the asrock extreme 4 or the asus p8z77-v LE since its 129.99.

Let me know your thoughts, thanks!

2. Loading...

Similar Threads - Decide Forum Date
    Need help deciding motherboard Motherboards Dec 17, 2015
    Trying to Decide On A Z170 Series Board Motherboards Sep 4, 2015
    Help Deciding - GA-Z97X-UD5H vs GA-Z97X-GAMING 7 Motherboards Jan 13, 2015
    Deciding on motherboard for media server. Motherboards Mar 28, 2013
    Can't decide which Mobo to get with i5 3570k Motherboards Dec 31, 2012

3. red454

red454 Senior member

What are your uses? Gaming?

I went with the ASUS Maximus Gene Z with a 2600K at the end of 2011 and upgraded to a Maximus V Formula and a 3770K. I didn't notice a huge difference. Just more bells and whistles. No problems at all with either system.

The boards you list are fine too of course...

4. tweakboy

tweakboy Diamond Member

Dude as long as its a ASUS. Your set that thing will out live you!!!

Yes guys IM being biased having used ASUS mobos since 1998. I had the P2B and thing went for 10 years and still going, but it was time to upgrade... all those other companies wish they were ASUS. Gigabyte doesnt suck, and its a great board but ASUS is simply better,

Hey red,,, I don't think this guy need a Formula Z its pointless,, hes not going to do a quad GPU card setup xfire4

Stick with the decision you made that is a great price and its a great top notch mobo.

However then you have the Sabertooth X79 , which will be compatible with Ivy Bridge E Christian from intel onfirmed it. Will work on 2011 sockets Ivy Bridge E will be 6 core to 12 core CPU's Also it has 8 dimm slots. :) quad channel ,,, Ivy E compatible , PCI 3.0 USB 3.0 ,, Asus SSD caching.. youll love the UEFI bios.

However this is a 400 dollar motherboard. It uses military grade components the little mini fans on beautiful design heatsink......

So in other words,, if you get a Sandy bridge mobo like P8 .... you will not be able to use the Ivy Bridge E processors that will beat Haswell quad core CPU for 2013 at least.

I made the decision to skip the 3770k and I'M glad I did.

think it over. If money is a issue grab the P8 motherboard and I promise you it will out live your children's ,,,,, children,,, its lifetime literally,,,,,,,,,as long as you dont abuse it. gl Tell us your decision.

#3 tweakboy, Feb 3, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2013
  5. fastamdman

fastamdman Golden Member

Guess I probably should have stated what I was going to use it for huh =P. I do A LOT of gaming. I also download a ton of stuff which means I do a lot of extracting of large .rar files. I transfer large files a lot also. I might get back into folding, if I can get a better overclock on this 2600k. Currently stuck at 4.5ghz and kinda hoping its the board and not the chip =P.

I've heard good things about that micro asus gene z board, but for some reason I don't want it. I don't know why, probably just because of it's size. And for the full atx board, I can't justify the price of it. Only way I could get the formula is if I got it used.

Grats on your new build though :)

6. rgallant

rgallant Golden Member

go for the MVF then great board ,if all the features suit your needs.
    -look at the rog forum very few people are having any real issues ,BUT thats with ib not sure with sb.

7. fastamdman

fastamdman Golden Member

As I said above I really can't justify the price of the asus maximus boards. From what I have read all of the z77 boards are pretty much the same.

Asus boards have a better bios, but asrock has a better price and they are about equal in overclocking capability. I think I am leaning towards the asrock extreme6 currently since it's cheaper then the extreme4....for some odd reason.

Can anyone explain why its cheaper then the 4?

8. Vectronic

Vectronic Senior member

Because it's basically the same as the Ext4... and they just released the Ext6/TB4... so for the moment they are trying to make the Ext6/TB4 look like the "gotta have" board.

9. fastamdman

fastamdman Golden Member

Gotcha, well after reading a pretty big thread/review about the 4/6 asrock extreme boards I think I am going to go with the 6 since it's cheaper :).

I will post up my results when the build is done!

10. Rvenger

Rvenger Elite Member <br> Super Moderator <br> Video Cards
    Super Moderator

Hey fastamdman, long time no see! Amaru is selling an Asrock Z77 Extreme 6 for $95 shipped in the FS/FT thread. I was so tempted to buy that board because I miss my old one. This is an excellent deal on a solid board. I am not certain if its still for sale but I would def throw him a PM to see.

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2280951