Can't decide if I want to buy one of these fancy ergo keyboards or not

archcommus

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2003
My last thread on carpel tunnel didn't last too long so I'll just get to the point - I'm wondering if it's worth spending $50 on one those nice Microsoft ergonomic keyboards while I'm still only 19 years old and attempt to use one for the rest of life. Will I see significant gains from doing this? Do they actually make much of a difference in the long run? My father suffers from carpel tunnel and I use one of the curved keyboards at work so it got me thinking.

archcommus

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2003
Originally posted by: LoKe
Just learn how to type.
I type around 85-90 WPM now and I use the keyboard properly - home row, right fingers, wrists straight (mostly), etc. I'm wondering if the wrist position the ergo keyboards force will help over time.

datalink7

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
I use one, and have for years.

With a normal keyboard, I used to get wrist pain. With an ergonomic one, I haven't gotten any since I started using it.

I also type faster, but I think that is because it is the keyboard that I use more often, not because of its shape. However, I will only buy ergo keyboard because of the wristpain factor.

archcommus

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2003
Originally posted by: datalink7

With a normal keyboard, I used to get wrist pain. With an ergonomic one, I haven't gotten any since I started using it.

I also type faster, but I think that is because it is the keyboard that I use more often, not because of its shape. However, I will only buy ergo keyboard because of the wristpain factor.
What model do you use?

datalink7

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
Originally posted by: archcommus

What model do you use?

this one

Though that is mostly because it was the only one in the store after I broke my other one. I usually have just bought the Microsoft Natural Elite. Costs about $20.00 I think.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Originally posted by: archcommus

What model do you use?

this one

Though that is mostly because it was the only one in the store after I broke my other one. I usually have just bought the Microsoft Natural Elite. Costs about $20.00 I think.

Cool. I thought they got rid of those Microsoft egro keyboards... I liked them too. Might have to pick one up since my current one sucks and the spacebar only works on the left side.

mrchan

Diamond Member
May 18, 2000
Anyone know if they have ergonomic keyboards without the number pad on the right? my keyboard tray has limited real estate, and i never use that anyway.

archcommus

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2003
Originally posted by: DainBramaged
I *hate* them for gaming and that's a lot of what I do. No idea for you though.
Hmm...have never tried gaming on one. Wouldn't think it'd be that much different.

Vegitto

Diamond Member
May 3, 2005
Meh, I type the wrong way, basically just with my thumbs, index and middle fingers, but I'm the fastest typer anyone I know's ever seen :p. Keyboards don't matter, just 'practise' a lot. Just like you'll be a pro in making your left hand your mouse hand in no time at all if you have the 'need' for it :p.

Maximus96

Diamond Member
Nov 9, 2000
Originally posted by: Vegitto
Meh, I type the wrong way, basically just with my thumbs, index and middle fingers, but I'm the fastest typer anyone I know's ever seen :p. Keyboards don't matter, just 'practise' a lot. Just like you'll be a pro in making your left hand your mouse hand in no time at all if you have the 'need' for it :p.

or if you have a right handed mouse, take care of your need with the left hand instead.