can't decide - Dell s2415h or u2415

amheck

Golden Member
Oct 14, 2000
Hi group, I need a couple new monitors - one of my home PC and one for my work PC. These will be side by side on my desk. These will be used 98% for email/web/MS Office, etc. The other 2% I might play a game here and there.

I found the s2415h at BestBuy open box, so a pair of those comes out to $275. The budget-minded side of me really likes this option. I have never had a glossy monitor but I know they look really nice in the right environment. I have windows in my office - I'm just not sure how exactly they will behave in my office.

On the other hand, I have always seen the glowing reviews of the u2415 and it appears I can get a pair of these for $450, which is a pretty big jump in price. The 16:10 extra screen real estate would seem to be a nice feature, I'm just not sure its worth the premium or not.

If it makes any difference, I'm planning to mount these monitors close together, either on their own stands or on a dual monitor stand.

Any suggestions or comments to help me decide?

mnewsham

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
I personally really like the antiglare coating dell uses on their Ultrasharp monitors, I personally use my computer at all different hours of the day, so there is always SOME part of the day that will have some glare on the screen, so for my setup anyway, I avoid glossy monitors just as a standard rule. Though if you think it wont be a huge deal in your setup, thats a good price.

amheck

Golden Member
Oct 14, 2000
I suppose worst case I can try the cheaper s2415h and if the glare is too much when I get them, just return then and try the Ultrasharps. We have a plasma in the living room which has big windows in the back and the glare can often be very annoying, so yeah, if that does in fact happen at my desk, I wouldn't be able to work like that.

Headfoot

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2008
Hi group, I need a couple new monitors - one of my home PC and one for my work PC. These will be side by side on my desk. These will be used 98% for email/web/MS Office, etc. The other 2% I might play a game here and there.

I found the s2415h at BestBuy open box, so a pair of those comes out to $275. The budget-minded side of me really likes this option. I have never had a glossy monitor but I know they look really nice in the right environment. I have windows in my office - I'm just not sure how exactly they will behave in my office.

On the other hand, I have always seen the glowing reviews of the u2415 and it appears I can get a pair of these for $450, which is a pretty big jump in price. The 16:10 extra screen real estate would seem to be a nice feature, I'm just not sure its worth the premium or not.

If it makes any difference, I'm planning to mount these monitors close together, either on their own stands or on a dual monitor stand.

Any suggestions or comments to help me decide?

I have 3 s2415h in eyefinity. When displaying blacks, glare can be quite bad. But on light content its not noticeable at all. For office work they would be fantastic monitors. They definitely are great for side to side because the bezels are so small. Between the IPS panel and the glossy screen the colors on these are really good. I've actually been thinking about selling my 3 with the triple monitor stand so I can get a high refresh rate ultrawide gaming monitor instead. PM me if you're interested, i'd cut you a good deal on the whole package and I can give you more detail on the individual units themselves