Can't decide among Dell, Toshiba and IBM

retlif

Jun 4, 2004
Help

I need help with buying a notebook. I graduate next year - and over the past 3 years I have used a much older IBM laptop (that used to belong to my dad), but I believe I am ready to upgrade. Here?s what I need it for:

- documents, including a ton of resumes
- lots and lots of pictures
- music downloads
- movie downloads
- CD-RW and DVD player
- and everything from school from the past 3 years ? there are some huge files
- and while the touchpad option seems nice (I MUST have the TrackPoint)

I have $1300 saved ? but I really don?t want to spend it all.

I have looked at Dell and Toshiba but seems like I keep going back to IBM. Specifically the ThinkPads R40 and R51. The 40 has the Celeron 1.8, and 128 MB with 20 GB ? and comes at $1209. The 51 has a Pentium M 1.5 with 256 MB and 20 GB but that one wipes out all my savings :(

So should I go ahead with the IBM? If yes, which one (pls. ignore my monetary woes when you give me your frank opinions)
Or am I stupid to dismiss Dell (which seems to have increasingly bad reviews) and Toshiba (CC and BB have some cool deals most times)?

I am looking for something that will last over a long term. ? What are your views on the chassis of the 3 brands and what should I make sure I have if I will need to upgrade in the future?

Thank-you.

Abhi

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2003
"I am looking for something that will last over a long term" = IBM is your only option.

Also upgrades in laptops are mostly limited around adding RAM, swapping out the HDD, and MAYBE swapping the processor.

I own a Dell and an IBM.

Dell is the best value for money here.. but then its a gamble with the quality..
Toshiba used to make decent notebooks, but i frankly dont have much idea about their current range.
IBM is the best quality, but it comes at a price...

Before you jump in for that R40, see if you can live with its thickness and weight. As an option, a dell 600M would be lighter, smaller and cheaper ...

aphex

Moderator<br>All Things Apple
Jul 19, 2001
IBM without a doubt.

Either the R series if you dont mind a little larger size, t40/41 if you want a thinner lighter laptop (but they start around $1400)

I have a T41 and it is freakin amazing!

TBP

Feb 20, 2000
Originally posted by: aphex
IBM without a doubt.

Either the R series if you dont mind a little larger size, t40/41 if you want a thinner lighter laptop (but they start around $1400)

Second that

Frightcrawler

Oct 15, 2003
Originally posted by: TBP
IBM without a doubt.

Second that

Third.

dcdomain

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2000
IBM... use your student discount before graduating?
I've been using Toshiba laptops ever since my first laptop, a Portege 3020CT. However my current Portege 2000 hasn't met my expectations. Recently placed an order for a Thinkpad T42.

jai6638

Golden Member
Apr 9, 2004
i currently own a toshiba satellite and im satisfied with it... however, the IBM is the best imo and toshiba would come next ..

Cheers

cipher00

Golden Member
Jan 29, 2001
Not Dell. I bought from them since they were PCs Limited. Never again, not after I needed "support" for my Inspiron.

I replaced the Inspiron with a Toshiba Satellite A10 for under $1000 (I used Pricewatch for that (PC Nation, I think, which I've used since)). Very nice box, and I can recommend it. Never had an IBM, though folks at work use them...I like the Toshiba better.

FWIW.

tommigsr

Platinum Member
May 8, 2001
what's wrong with dell? i've had my 600m and i couldn't be any happier with it. look on the hot deals forums for great deals on this laptop. sometimes you can get it for 1000 plus/minus a few bucks for a very good system. just keep a look out...every few weeks on the forums.

tyipengr

Oct 31, 2002
Originally posted by: Frightcrawler
Originally posted by: TBP
IBM without a doubt.

Second that

Third.

fourth.

Man. Apple was right with that 1984 commercial. Big brother, ugh, IBM does have drones all over the world. But thats only cuz they make kick ass hardware! yeah!

daddyo

Oct 9, 1999
Can you show me how to get a T41 for $1400 reasonably equipped?

I can get a loaded Dell Latitude D600 for $1700, including a 3 year on site &amp; CompleteCare warranty (replace accidental damage).

To spec out an T41/T42 that is similar, I'm looking at $2200+. Even the most minimal layout is $1700, with a 1 year mail in warranty, no accidental damage coverage.

I'm looking at paying a 30% premium to buy a Thinkpad.

Ouch.

aakerman

Jul 22, 2002
Originally posted by: daddy-o
Can you show me how to get a T41 for $1400 reasonably equipped?

I can get a loaded Dell Latitude D600 for $1700, including a 3 year on site &amp; CompleteCare warranty (replace accidental damage).

To spec out an T41/T42 that is similar, I'm looking at $2200+. Even the most minimal layout is $1700, with a 1 year mail in warranty, no accidental damage coverage.

I'm looking at paying a 30% premium to buy a Thinkpad.

Ouch.

Don't look at it that way... see it this way: You're paying a 30% premium, to get a notebook that will last you 50% longer :)

daddyo

Oct 9, 1999
That's very true, and it's definitely making me think it over.

But I keep seeing people mention these T42's with all the specs for $1700, and I just can't get that kind of price out of the website.

TBP

Feb 20, 2000
Originally posted by: daddy-o
That's very true, and it's definitely making me think it over.

But I keep seeing people mention these T42's with all the specs for $1700, and I just can't get that kind of price out of the website.

There are several ways: visa/discover/etc 15% discount; EPP discount; SPP discount; educational discount, and I'm sure there must be some others

8ballcoupe

Jan 27, 2004
"I am looking for something that will last over a long term" = IBM is your only option.

That's not true. I've been using portables longer than many of the people here have been alive. Consumer grade equipment from either Toshiba or IBM will likely break about as fast as consumer grade equipment from some of the other vendors. But business grade Toshibas will stick in there as long as business grade IBM equipment. I know that from experience. Dells have been a terribly mixed bag, and they have been so for years. You're often reasonably safe with a Lat, but there's no guarantee. I've seen some really flimsy ones. There have even been a few good Inspirons, but most have been far too easy to break.

There's little doubt that you can get a lousy system from any manufacturer and any vendor these days. Buying from a brick &amp; mortar establishment or online vendor with a solid return policy which allows you to get a different model if the one you purchased isn't to your liking is the smartest thing to do. Unfortunately, the excellent return policies and low prices don't often exist at places that carry the business grade notebooks.

You may wish to consider HP, too. Some of the business level notebooks seem to be solid and reliable, though I have less personal experience from which to draw with respect to this brand.

Most important consideration, IMO, if you are interested in reliability and longevity, then stay away from the consumer stuff if it's at all possible. Some of it may be good, but you won't really know for sure until you're a year or two down the road. Figure extended warranty into your purchase if that is at all possible. These suckers are EXPENSIVE to repair once they're out of warranty.

Ernie

tommigsr

Platinum Member
May 8, 2001
actually, they are fairly easy to repair and possibly cheaper too. you can find main components on ebay, but to say the least...i'm thinking all the laptop boards have the integrated video on them so pretty much that's the drawback right there. everything else is pretty much upgradeable...that is if you get a laptop that you can expand on. memory, optical drives, hd, modems, wireless mini pci cards...even down to the CPU.

imho, the extended warranties aren't worth it for what you get. the stores make major bucks off the extended warranties as well :)

i myself own a Dell 600m model with these specs:

1.8 (dothan 745 chip)
512mb pc2100
64mb radeon 9000
60gb hitachi hd
8x nec dvdrw

and it works great. when i first bought it, it only came with

1.3 pentium m
256mb pc2100
30gb hd
24x cdrw

as you can see...upgradeable! :) i'm very happy with my purchase and have opened this laptop a few times and know the ins and outs of the thing to do some major repairs.

8ballcoupe

Jan 27, 2004
actually, they are fairly easy to repair and possibly cheaper too.

Sorry, but I can't understand that statement at all. It's often not very cost-effective to upgrade a desktop, and they are MUCH easier to work on and repair. It's almost never cost-effective to upgrade a notebook other than more RAM or a bigger hard drive. The damned parts are too expensive. Of course I don't buy parts (or anything else that I'd want to count on) off of ebay, but to each his own.

One broken screen will cost more than twice what anyone charges for a three or four year extended warranty.

Ernie

tommigsr

Platinum Member
May 8, 2001
possibly cheaper as in you could find a solution just googling around rather than paying for the extended services :) you're right about the parts though. they are pretty expensive, but you can always find a good deal on the hot deals forums :) worst comes the worst, ebay. LOL...yea ebay would be my last resort, but some are reputable.

i guess i'm just an upgrade freak :( someone help me

8ballcoupe

Jan 27, 2004
i guess i'm just an upgrade freak someone help me

Poor guy! There IS NO HELP for upgrade freaks. I used to be one. But I wasn't helped. I just underwent spontaneous remission -- a very rare, and usually temporary, situation. ;)

Ernie