can't create new partition on healthy SSD

Discussion in 'Memory and Storage' started by JanesJr, Feb 13, 2013.

1. JanesJr

JanesJr Junior Member

I cannot create a new partition on a healthy SSD. In Disk Management, when trying to shrink the existing, healthy partition to create unallocated space for the new partition, I receive the Virtual Disk Manager error message, "The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled, or because it has no enabled devices associated with it." (No error message number.) The SSD is a Samsung 840 512GB installed to three volumes with Samsung's supplied software under Windows 8 on a new Lenovo T530. The partition I want to shrink is 475GB with plenty of unused space. In setting up the SSD with Samsung's SSD Magician, the only system changes I made were to disable defrag and disable most indexing, and I did not disable "superfetch" (if that's relevant).

2. Loading...

Similar Threads - create partition healthy Forum Date
    Unable to Create New Extended(Logical) Partition Windows 7 Memory and Storage Jan 17, 2013
    Creating a partition just for Win7 for new SSD? Memory and Storage Sep 13, 2012
    Any advantages of creating a separate partition for data? Memory and Storage Apr 24, 2012
    I need a program that boots from CD to create a HD partition Memory and Storage Nov 19, 2010
    Creating a partition without formatting? Memory and Storage Feb 27, 2010

3. nk215

nk215 Senior member

Try mini tool partition wizard (it's free). It worked for me before when disk management didn't

4. Kenmitch

Kenmitch Diamond Member

I read this one will work.

http://www .partition- tool.com/personal.htm

Remove spaces in link as it breaks for some reason.

#3 Kenmitch, Feb 13, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2013
  5. Elixer

Elixer Diamond Member

Gparted live CD/USB stick also works, and is free.