Question Can't boot Windows 10 install media

jimjam

Sep 25, 2020
HI

I just bought a new boot drive for my PC and am trying to install windows 10 however I am unable to get the Windows 10 install to boot.

What I have tried so far based on forums/google searches
- Using Microsoft's Media Creation Tool
- Using the Windows 10 ISO and Rufus to get it onto a USB drive
- Enabling and disabling CSM
- A few different iterations of legacy vs UEFI options when CSM is enabled
- Two different USB Drives - an 8gb and a 32 gb
- Different USB ports
- With and without NVME drive installed and with and without existing boot/other drives installed

I am at a loss as to what to do next. Since I've turned the BIOS image off (so i can see POST) I can see that it is bringing up the Windows Logo but then after about 10 seconds on that (with no spinning dots or anything) the computer restarts.

There was one time on the 32gb drive where it restarted as it always seems to do and I pulled the USB drive out just as it went to a blank blue screen (like what is normally there on a the windows installer) and then it obviously just stayed on the screen. I restarted etc with the USB back in and it went back to the repeated restarts which is when i then recreated the install disk and then switched to another drive (as i thought i had corrupted the files and/or drive)

Appreciate any support

Cheers

James

pandemonium

Golden Member
Mar 17, 2011
This does sound a lot like there were corrupted files installed when Windows loaded them and the constant reboots are due to that.

Have you tried running any Windows repair from the install ISO/USB? I'd also try deleting the partition on the drive you're installing Windows on and make a fresh one.

Side note: restore factory clocks if you have the machine overclocked at all as that may mess with the installation (if it's not 100% stable). And make sure AHCI is enabled in the BIOS.

jimjam

Sep 25, 2020
This does sound a lot like there were corrupted files installed when Windows loaded them and the constant reboots are due to that.

Have you tried running any Windows repair from the install ISO/USB? I'd also try deleting the partition on the drive you're installing Windows on and make a fresh one.

Side note: restore factory clocks if you have the machine overclocked at all as that may mess with the installation (if it's not 100% stable). And make sure AHCI is enabled in the BIOS.
Thanks - thinking the BIOS reset might be the way to go...

I just tried the USB boot media on my Surface and it booted to the installer with no problem.

Just to clarify i haven't even managed to get the installer to boot in order for me to install windows 10 on the new drive (that is with and without the new drive physically installed)...

jimjam

Sep 25, 2020
Tried resetting BIOS + clearning CMOS but no luck there either
Going to try running a ram test to see if thats an issue
Are there any power or C-State settings that could be making it restart?

As last resort - I did try the Windows installer within windows and get to the point where it said 'Install Now' - up until that point it didn't ask me where i wanted to install it... Does it ask after that? Otherwise wondering if its worth just cloning my boot drive and then doing a windows refresh on it or something?

jimjam

Sep 25, 2020
Nope its a system I built a while ago and just wanted to replace the boot drive

Specs below if that helps:
Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming 3
Ryzen 5 1600
16GB GSkill Ram - not sur the specs but can find if it helps. Have tried with XMP on and off
Sapphire Radeon RX480 Nitro (+i think?)

Edit: Secure boot is off

jimjam

Sep 25, 2020
If it is a OEM system, did you disable secure boot?
**Edit - this theory didn't work - secure boot can't be turned on through the BIOS/UEFI**

One strange thing here come to think of it

My Surface has Secure Boot ON (at least according to SysInf) and that loaded the installer...

Might try turning Secure Boot On after this memory test.

First pass on the test came back with no issues

Last edited:

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
AHCI should be the default on that board but check it just in case. If you are on an older bios, I would update it.

jimjam

Sep 25, 2020
Yeah AHCI is on
Haven't updated BIOS yet - a little concerned with doing that as I am on one of the last BIOS before it says you need to install particular firmware / drivers *before* updating the BIOS... Could that create issues trying to install Windows if it doesn't have that in the installer?

I just created a recovery USB using one of the USBs and managed to boot into that no problem so not sure what is making the difference there

As another test I am going to try and burn a Windows 10 install disc at my parents place later today in case that miraculously works.

jimjam

Sep 25, 2020
Tried burning the install ISO to a DVD and also tried downloading the ISO without using the media creation tool (ended up with a larger ISO) and using Rufus to get it onto USB - neither worked

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
I asked about OEM, because that is where I have seen secure boot snags. I have never had it happen with off the shelf boards.

I looked at the bios versions for your board.

A couple of things to note:
1. Don't sweat the part about the all-in-one chipset drivers, it is only necessary for APUs.
2: You do need to use the EC FW update tool to update to F40, so that you can use all 4 DIMM slots with 3rd gen Ryzen.

F31 appears to be a bridge bios, and it does state it improves USB device compatibility. F41 states it improves M.2 compatibility. It is possible, that your issue is at least partially bios related. So it makes sense to do it as part of the troubleshoot. But obviously it's your call.

The EC FW update tool is run from windows.

All that said, there is a simple method I use for getting win 10 installed, when a rare OEM system is refusing to boot from my install media. I start the install on a different system and when it gets to the windows will restart stage, I hit restart, then turn the system off. Next, put the drive/M.2 stick into the target system, and turn it on. Windows will pick right up and finish the install. I have yet to have that fail, though I have only had to do it a few times; a very small sample size.

jimjam

Sep 25, 2020
Thanks so much for the detailed look into the BIOS updates - absolute legend. That gives me some confidence so I'll give those a go a bit later

On the good news front - got back to google searching last night and deep into some threads on Microsoft support and one person had the same issue on a new Windows release which they didn't have on any release prior... SO this morning I used Rufus to download the initial Windows 10 release and it worked! :D

So now just installing updates... The computer has been a bit unstable but hoping once windows updates are all done it sorts itself out for the most part and then I'll give the BIOS a crack

In terms of the instability:
- Radeon driver keeps crashing - using the newest driver on initial Windows 10 release probably not the smartest idea.
- Had one BSOD - Clock watchdog timeout error which seems AMD related too (CPU/GPU)
- Had the PC hang entirely running Samsung Magician bench - that seems to happen though. (and again, given original windows 10 release, not surprising im having issues with new software)

Thanks for the help!!