can't access my mapped network drive on certain ISP's...

finbarqs

Diamond Member
Feb 16, 2005
So I mapped my NAS over DDNS, and for the most part, it works... As long as I'm in Southern California.

The NAS is situated on a Verizon FIOS connection, and it's on the DMZ. The NAS is in Los Angeles (Socal). I can access the drive from multiple different places: my office (uses Time Warner Business Class Cable) and my GF's also using verizon FIOS. When I go out of state (Las Vegas i.e.) I can't access the drive for some reason. I can still access the GUI via web browser and my ddns address, but that's about all. I can ping it also. but the "\\" command doesn't work in Vegas.

Then recently, I traveled to Norcal (San Francisco) and it doesn't work there either. Anybody have any thoughts on this?

imagoon

Diamond Member
Feb 19, 2003
Lots of places filter SMB protocol ports. It is fairly common to block 445 / 139.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Yes, those protocols are intended for a LAN. If you want to use them over the internet, you should set up a VPN server on your router, and VPN in, and THEN connect to your SMB/CIFS server.

finbarqs

Diamond Member
Feb 16, 2005
yeah VPN will always work, can i change my listening port from 445/139 to something unblocked?