Canon super-zoom powershot S series lovers

Discussion in 'Digital and Video Cameras' started by Rottie, Sep 24, 2011.

1. AnitaPeterson

AnitaPeterson Diamond Member

Ahh! the picture says it all - thanks for posting it! :D

I see your pinkie has to curl under the camera, as if to support it, because it has no room on the grip - that's what I'm talking about. On the SX40, I could keep all three fingers on the grip - I can't do so on the SX50.

First-world problems, I know!

And I should stop lusting over the SX50. I haven't even finished exploring all the functions on the SX40 yet...

2. corkyg

corkyg Elite Member<br>Super Moderator <br>Peripherals
    Super Moderator

Ha! OK, Anita. I ac tually like the pinkie under the camera - it provides support along with the protrusion that rests on the middle finger. Those two are what really give me a firm, one-handed support. With the SX40, I have to grip tightly to get the same level of support. I guess it all has a relationship to the size of one's hands.

I am giving my SX40 to my church's youth group - trying to encourage photgraphy other than with their smart phone. :)

VTW, an essential tool with both the SX40 and 50 is a monopod for when the lens is out all the way.

3. Rottie

Rottie Diamond Member

I sold my S3IS for 100 buck 2 months ago :p Now I am looking for a good deal for used T3i or t4i in few months.

4. Blintok

Blintok Senior member

just thot i would pop in and say i got the Canon SX50 last week and love it. Had one of the first Sony Alpha (a200) and a small Nikon point and shoot. Wanted something with a decent zoom.

Did some searching and reading reviews. I had narrowed it down to 3 choices all in same price range. Sony dschx200v - Nikon Coolpix P520 - Canon SX50HS.

Thot for sure i was going to get the Sony (dschx200v) but more reading and comparing features and picture quality i decided the Canon was the winner.

Have used it a few times to test the zoom and indoor shots to test how it handles low light with no flash. Love the zoom, low light came out better than i expected so i am really please with this camera.

5. demiro

demiro Member

Blintok, I tried the Sony and couldn't mesh with it somehow. Now thinking about the Canon. How is the EVF? Any chance you can post a pic or two at full zoom?

Thanks.

6. Blintok

Blintok Senior member

I have tried both the lcd and viewfinder to take pix (used to EVF as that only way to take pix on sony alpha) and both work well. Decent amount of info in evf but for the most part i just mostly use the camera in auto mode so info wasted on me :)

here are 2 pix i took - the zoom is to the max of the optical - did not go into the software zoom. i am pretty happy with the results

[​IMG]

zoomed
    [​IMG]

7. Blintok

Blintok Senior member

here is an indoor shot. no flash. just the light from the fluorescent tubes. all in auto mode

[​IMG]

8. demiro

demiro Member

Thanks Blintok. Those are nice shots. Seems like the Canon delivers a crisper image than the Sony I tried. May have to check one out in person.

9. Rottie

Rottie Diamond Member

congrats with your new SX50 HS. Enjoy!!

10. Blintok

Blintok Senior member

thanks - the more i use the camera the more impressed i am. Really glad i got it. The zoom is really handy to capture the natural beauty and nature that is British Columbia

for instance -

[​IMG]

;)

11. corkyg

corkyg Elite Member<br>Super Moderator <br>Peripherals
    Super Moderator

Just got back from a trip to the Netherlands. The SX50 performed very well. Here is a shot today from my garage. The first is zero zoom, i.e., widest angle. Then the second is max zoom (not easy to hand hold) shooting the forthcoming blossoms on top of the saguaro cactus. I shot it in P mode, auto ISO, and kept the saguaro top centered, The zoom is huge. Both reduced to 1024x768 for Internet use.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Rottie

Rottie Diamond Member

very nice pictures. :cool:

13. Tom

Tom Lifer

I couldn't resist getting an SX50, maybe its my age but the idea of a camera this small and inexpensive with a 24-1200mm lens is mind-boggling.