Canon S1 IS

JM Aggie08

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2006
Are there any lens suggestions anyone may have for this camera? i know it's not a $2,000 dlsr, but i love it and would like to have more fun with it.

Oct 9, 1999
i got one.. and i suggest getting the S2.

THe S1 is slower in focusing, it doesnt focus at all in low light.
THe nice thing it has a pop up flash (kinda fancy).. otehrwise just get the S2, its a better upgrade to teh S1.

JM Aggie08

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2006
i would...but i got this from a friend and kinda dont have money to get an S2 :/ lol. so you still have your S1? did you buy any accessories for it?

Oct 9, 1999
yes i still have the S1, i didnt buy any accessories for it. It works good as it is.. i still have it. I am getting the S3 IS in about 3 weeks.

The camera is a good camera otherwise.. i love it, infact so much that i am offloading it on a cousin on mine who is going to SE. Asia later this month.
Its a good camera, make sure you take care of it.. the optics are senstive to damage, so be careful, and dont rough handle it.

JM Aggie08

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2006
ya, i've babied that thing since day 1. and yes, the S3 is hawt. where you planning on buying from? avg price i've seen is $420 on up.

vegetation

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2001
I got the Raynox wideangle lens from lensmate for my S1. It's fantastic for wide angle, equivalent to about a 25mm, plus you still got enough power to zoom to 5-6x even with the lens attached. Unlike cheap ebay wide angle lenses, the Raynox wont give fishbowl distortions.

Jawo

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2005
Originally posted by: vegetation
I got the Raynox wideangle lens from lensmate for my S1. It's fantastic for wide angle, equivalent to about a 25mm, plus you still got enough power to zoom to 5-6x even with the lens attached. Unlike cheap ebay wide angle lenses, the Raynox wont give fishbowl distortions.

I got a wide angle lense from Ebay that doesnt give the fishbowl effect! I think the scale factor is more important than the quality factor. I'm using a 0.5x lense and enjoying it. If I went with a 0.3x it would be fishbowl...since you are trying to fit in three times the normal data in a frame!

vegetation

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2001
Originally posted by: Jawo
Originally posted by: vegetation

I got a wide angle lense from Ebay that doesnt give the fishbowl effect! I think the scale factor is more important than the quality factor. I'm using a 0.5x lense and enjoying it. If I went with a 0.3x it would be fishbowl...since you are trying to fit in three times the normal data in a frame!

I disagree, the quality is far more important. Wideangles by nature suffer from distortions noticeable on shooting architecture, and fringing at the corners at full wideangle setting. On a non-SLR it's tough to even find one that doesn't come out crappy. I am very happy with the Raynox; you can see the sample images on the lensmate website.

JM Aggie08

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2006
hmm, im not sure of what to get. ive been wanting more hi def pics. anyone know where to point me to?