Question Canon Rebel XSi dark band on top of image

erwin1978

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2001
I have a Canon Rebel XSi that produces images with a dark horizontal band across the top of the images. It only appears whenever the shutter speed is higher than 1/100s and gets darker the faster the speed. Could this be a shutter issue? The image example is f9, iso 100, 1/160s.

Attachments

• IMG_8204.JPG
    IMG_8204.JPG
    459.8 KB · Views: 20

Paladin3

Diamond Member
Mar 5, 2004
I doubt that has anything to do with your flash, since I doubt you were even using one and it in no way lit up the sky. I'm guessing your shutter is sticking a bit or out of sync or something, but it's not getting out of the way of the sensor in time. Camera could just need a good cleaning, but a trip to the repair shop is in order. Or save a bit of money and replace it since it's, what, 11 years old. Canon refurbished cameras are awesome deals.

Refurbished EOS Rebel T6 EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II Lens Kit - $349.99
(Apply promo code FRIEND15 in cart to receive 15% off your purchase. Shipping is free on orders over $100.)

Reactions: AnitaPeterson

erwin1978

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2001
After disassembling and reassembling the camera ten times I figured out the shutter spring tension needed adjusting. Now I'm in the process of honing the exposures just right. When I over adjust the camera needs complete disassembly each time which is a pain, but I've gotten good at it by now.

Paladin3

Diamond Member
Mar 5, 2004
After disassembling and reassembling the camera ten times I figured out the shutter spring tension needed adjusting. Now I'm in the process of honing the exposures just right. When I over adjust the camera needs complete disassembly each time which is a pain, but I've gotten good at it by now.
Think how good you will feel when you get it adjusted right for repairing your own camera. I've taken lenses apart, but never a camera.

Reactions: AnitaPeterson

AnitaPeterson

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001
Holy crap!
Canon fan here as well, but I wouldn't use the XSi anymore.

It's great that you're comfortable disassembling and repairing the camera all by yourself, but if this is a recurring problem, it's not worth hanging on to the camera. Newer SLR models can be had for very little, and they're much better. And peace of mind - knowing you don't have to wonder when and if the problem will come back! - is worth a lot more, IMHO.