Canon point shoot video files lose date when imported

Wekiva

Feb 13, 2001
I'm stepping into the HD world finally. I have several sources that will shoot HD of varying quality:
Canon S95
iPhone 4
Nikon D90
Sony HDR CX550

The question is what date is attached to the video files once they are imported into the computer. All of the files from the cameras EXCEPT the Canon retain the date the file was filmed when the file is imported into the computer. The Canon is the only one that tags the file with the date the file was imported. I've tried turning on all the other Date stamps that I can see and they are ALL the import date.

Why is this...and how can I get the Canon S95 files to show the date the video was taken vs. the import date? My goal is to sort them all by date taken so that all of the file clips line up chronologically regardless of which camera was used to film each clip.

Wekiva

Feb 13, 2001
...and to add a bit more info.

I am using Windows 7. I have been copying the files off all those cameras using simple drag/drop within Windows. I haven't used any of the proprietary software that came with the cameras.

Would using Canon's software that was included with the camera fix this date problem?

JohnnyRebel

Feb 7, 2011
...and to add a bit more info.

I am using Windows 7. I have been copying the files off all those cameras using simple drag/drop within Windows. I haven't used any of the proprietary software that came with the cameras.

Would using Canon's software that was included with the camera fix this date problem?

I shot a couple of videos with my S95 and imported them with Lightroom. I have not had this problem.

JR

Rottie

Diamond Member
Feb 10, 2002
Canon Zoombrowser can read EXIF just fine. I drag and drop photos into picture folder all of EXIF still instant. Yeah I use Windows 7 too