Canon IP4500 new - set up with generic carts?

zzzd

Nov 21, 2012
Bought a Canon IP4500 years ago and put it away in the closet after selling the OEM cartridges. Do I need OEM cartridges to set it up for the first time or will generics work?

de8212

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2000
I had the 4500 years ago. Loved it. I used generics in it without a problem.

jhansman

Platinum Member
Feb 5, 2004
FWIW, I had to replace the print head on my Canon Pixma after using generics for a month or so. Fortunately, the printer was still under warranty (just), and they sent me the replacement overnight. Don't know for sure if it was the inks or not, but now I only use the much more expensive Canon carts and have had no problems.

zzzd

Nov 21, 2012
FWIW, I had to replace the print head on my Canon Pixma after using generics for a month or so. Fortunately, the printer was still under warranty (just), and they sent me the replacement overnight. Don't know for sure if it was the inks or not, but now I only use the much more expensive Canon carts and have had no problems.

I guess it's just human nature to blame the ink. Even when people were using only the colored water based inks they would still blame the generic stuff unless they only used OEM and of course then it was the printers fault. I've found it's usually operator error - most often lack of use. That's usually my problem although I did get two faulty cartridges once.

I purchased a couple of generic cartridges that had been sanded/grinded too much on the "nipple end" ? Now that I know its' easy to catch - the cartridge snaps in to place with little or no pressure. That's a clue that it's not sealing around the gasket at the bottom and it starts sucking air. Not a big problem with a full tank and gravity but at a half tank you'll only get a page or less before it starts to fade and needs a cycling/cleaning of the ink to get those same results all over again. A new cartridge (not from the same production run) solves the problem.

Nice thing about Canons is that the head is easily removed for cleaning. And if water doesn't clear it, use Windex.