Canon i560 injet drivers off MS's site won't install - (Win7)

videobruce

Nov 27, 2001
I finally managed to d/l the x64 driver for this printer directly from MS's update site as opposed to doing it through update driver since I want a copy of the driver so I can load off line like I do with all other drivers for the past 13 years.
I finally managed to figure out how to get the driver without using the "update driver" through Device Manager that automatically d/l's the driver, installs it but with no copy saved for backup. You have to repeat the process if you re-install the O/S which is stupid and unnecessary.

That is after you change the setting under "Device Installation Settings" to "Yes do this automatically" since it won't work if you leave it at the default setting.

The two packages I have are x86 & x64 for this i560. Using the .inf file, both return the same message that is isn't the correct driver. There is no .exe so I can run it by itself.

Canon has some file that is suppose to work, but with no details just how to use it. A fix for the problem. I tried that, but that has absolutely no effect.

Any ideas here, I have never needed to do all of this for any device .

Last edited:

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
You should only have to download printer driver add on module,

Canon Inkjet Printer Driver Add-On Module

Description
This product is a module that expands the functionality of the printer driver for Canon Inkjet printers as included in Windows Vista and 7.

Compatibility
Operating system(s): Windows 7, Windows 7 (x64), Windows Vista, Windows Vista (x64)
Language(s): English
Software
File version: 1.10
File Size: 4.1 MB
Downloads: aomwin110ea23.exe
It's exe so should work fine,it can be found in my second link on my first post.

videobruce

Nov 27, 2001
You should only have to download printer driver add on module,
There are no drivers for that model in Win7. The model number gets recognized, but that's it. The exe executes, but there are no results.

What Canon USA has is here;
http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/suppo...tion/i_series/i560_series?#DriversAndSoftware

What the UK site has is here;
http://www.canon.co.uk/Support/Cons...x?DLtcmuri=tcm:14-729895&page=1&type=download

BOTH only have this "add on module", NOT the base drivers which is what I need.

After a very lengthly search I came across this post elsewhere which answered why the update drivers didn't work initially. But, that isn't solving the problem!;
AdamCUK replied on August 1, 2011

The actual problem is that Windows is set by default not to download drivers automatically from Windows Update,
despite the fact that this is the "recommended" setting. If you set Windows to download drivers automatically
then the printer installs automatically.

Canon does not provide this driver on their website. It is provided by MICROSOFT via Windows Update.
Click the Windows button and choose Control Panel.
Select "System" then "System and Security".
Choose "Advanced System Settings".
Choose the "Hardware" tab and click on the "Device Installation Settings" button.
Choose "Yes, do this automatically (recommended)", then click on "Save changes".
Now add the printer again and it should work.

Managing to find Microsoft's Update Catalog site for driver downloads (which I have never used or even heard of since I never had a need for it in 13 years) I obtained both versions for Win7 (x86 & x64 just in case). Since neither have a .exe file they have to get installed via a .inf file which leads to the problem, both get rejected which puts me back to square one.

In case anyone doesn't see the problem here, very simply; what happens when MS removes those drivers (via the auto update process)? Throw the printer out?? THERE IS NO WAY TO SAVE THEM! :thumbsdown:

Last edited:

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
Why do you need an exe for printer drivers? All you need are the drivers. Go to the link in the page I listed, download one of the Windows 7 drivers (there are a couple of them), extract the cabinet file, and add a printer with the Have Disk option pointing to the directory you extracted to.

TBH, I don't know why you need to do all that even. Right now I am running a Vista VM, and that printer is already listed in the Add Printer menu, so all you should need to do is find it in that group.

You are correct that the links others gave you are not for the driver itself. As I mentioned, someone decided the Canon site should not have this available.

videobruce

Nov 27, 2001
Why do you need an exe for printer drivers?
So it can be installed w/o DM or add printer that also includes additional functions drivers do not.
Go to the link in the page I listed, download one of the Windows 7 drivers (there are a couple of them), extract the cabinet file, and add a printer with the Have Disk option pointing to the directory you extracted to.
I tried that as I stated and it didn't work. The inf file got rejected.