Canon G12 - finally

slashbinslashbash

Golden Member
Feb 29, 2004
Geeze, look at all the dials on that thing!

1) Dial around base of lens
2) Dial under shutter finger, in front of shutter release
3) ISO dial
4) Shooting mode dial
5) Exposure Compensation dial
6) Rear multi-dial

That's TWICE as many as on my 5D/20D/etc.! (Granted, DSLR lenses have dedicated focus rings, but still...) I would love to have a dedicated ISO dial on my DSLR's. They could implement it the same way as the ISO dial on the G12 -- stick it under the mode dial. Or just get rid of the mode dial and use it for ISO. On semipro DSLR's like the 5D, there's little need for the mode dial anyway. I switch ISO's much more frequently than I switch modes. Hiding the mode dial behind a menu or a modifier button (like iSO is currently) would be preferable.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Geeze, look at all the dials on that thing!

1) Dial around base of lens
2) Dial under shutter finger, in front of shutter release
3) ISO dial
4) Shooting mode dial
5) Exposure Compensation dial
6) Rear multi-dial

around the base of the lens is the threads for the filter adapter. the knurled part is a ring protecting the threads. it's removable.

agree on the ISO dial. if it wasn't under the mode dial you could lift it to switch between auto ISO (where the dial is used to set the max) and set ISO.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
The front dial is like the EOS line up...it's going to be very practical for ISO setting.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
I've been comparing specs with the P7000. On paper they both look like nice, solid cameras. The P7000 specs are a bit vague on the whether or not the P7000 can serve as a flash commander for CLS flashes. If it can then it might be a slam dunk for Nikon (for me anyway since I already have a Nikon flash). I'll have to try them out in person and see how they feel.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
The P7000 has a longer useful zoom range and a VGA LCD.

yhelothar

Lifer
Dec 11, 2002
That looks like a horribly overpriced P&S at $500. You can get the Oly Pen EP-1 for the same price and get a real sensor that provides vastly superior image quality and a DSLR system to work with.
The Sony NEX is even more compact and only costs about $100-150 more.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
I've been comparing specs with the P7000. On paper they both look like nice, solid cameras. The P7000 specs are a bit vague on the whether or not the P7000 can serve as a flash commander for CLS flashes. If it can then it might be a slam dunk for Nikon (for me anyway since I already have a Nikon flash). I'll have to try them out in person and see how they feel.

Looks like the P7000 supports flash commanders but doesn't have built in commander functionality. That levels the playing field again wrt the G12. Guess I'll have to wait until they are in the B&M stores to try them out.

@astroidea: The PEN looks good but by the time I add in the macro capability I want, the PEN system would be back up over a thousand bucks and be much bulkier/heavier than what I'm looking for. I already have an SLR. I want a compact field camera I can shoot one handed while hanging from a ledge and fending off wildcats that also takes pretty good pics.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
I wish they gave the G12 that S90 lens dial...I guess once you use one of the addon lenses it may be a problem though. Seems like they could have made it work.

I want to play with one in the store and see how the ergonomics works for me. That new Nikon may have be changing too.

I liked that Samsung that's out, but I don't want my compacts to have lens caps and it was a bit shy on zoom.

alfa147x

Lifer
Jul 14, 2005
I hate when people compare a portable / slim P&S to a DSLR... Jesus fucking christ people, they are different sizes!

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
I hate when people compare a portable / slim P&S to a DSLR... Jesus fucking christ people, they are different sizes!

QFT...the whole 4:3 system has never made sense to me as once you throw a lens on to them you are talking a dSLR in size and only about 50-75% of the capability.

What I like about cameras like the G series (and the A series when the A650 is lived) was a pocketable camera that was great at snap shots.

IMHO no matter how good a compact is it's depth of field limitations only allows it snap shots.