Canon 1200mm lens

996GT2

Diamond Member
Jun 23, 2005
Actually that price is quite reasonable considering that there only about 12 of these lenses in existence around the world.

"This monster lens was introduced in 1993, six years after the launch of EOS-series cameras, and discontinued in 2005. The initial price for this lens was US$89,579. According to Wikipedia, there are about a dozen of these lenses in existence. Sports Illustrated magazine owns two of them, as does Canon Professional Services and James Jannard, the billionaire founder of Oakley."

supaidaaman

Nov 17, 2005
Originally posted by: 996GT2

According to Wikipedia, there are about a dozen of these lenses in existence. Sports Illustrated magazine owns two of them, as does Canon Professional Services and James Jannard, the billionaire founder of Oakley."

Wikipedia needs to update there list! After this hot on fire deal posting, I AM NOW THE TRUE OWNER OF THE LENS!!1

Lurknomore

Golden Member
Jul 3, 2005
Originally posted by: supaidaaman
Originally posted by: 996GT2

According to Wikipedia, there are about a dozen of these lenses in existence. Sports Illustrated magazine owns two of them, as does Canon Professional Services and James Jannard, the billionaire founder of Oakley."

Wikipedia needs to update there list! After this hot on fire deal posting, I AM NOW THE TRUE OWNER OF THE LENS!!1

Do you and Mr. Jannard live near a nude beach?:p

JameyF

Oct 5, 2001
Originally posted by: Throckmorton
Perfect. I just moved next to a nude beach.

Add a couple of 2x converters on a 1.6 crop camera, and the moon would be considered next door :)

Fardringle

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2000
Originally posted by: JameyF
Originally posted by: Throckmorton
Perfect. I just moved next to a nude beach.
Add a couple of 2x converters on a 1.6 crop camera, and the moon would be considered next door :)
Take a look at the link BuckNaked posted. They used an XL1 camera with a 7.2X EOS adapter and a 2X telephoto adapter to get an effective focal length of 17,280mm. It's not quite the Hubble telescope, but certainly shows a family resemblance. :)

vortix

Jun 13, 2001
The description from B&H:

The Canon 1200/5.6L USM, the longest fixed telephoto lens ever built by Canon, contains 13 elements (2 Fluorite) in 10 groups and focus' down to 49.5'. With an angle-of- view of about 2° on a full-frame 35 mm camera, calling this lens a 'tele' is like calling King Kong a monkey.

Built-to-order by Canon from 1993 to 2005, each lens was hand-crafted at the rate of about 2-per-year and a delivery time of about 18 months. Only a dozen-or-so were ever made. Who bought them? National Geographic magazine and Sports Illustrated are known to own a couple, the Feds probably have a few squirreled away somewhere, and a few well-heeled photo enthusiasts.

Apart from a few minor cosmetic blemishes, this particular lens is extremely clean inside and out. Included with this lens is a leather slip-on 'lens cap', a fitted aluminum trunk case, and a prodigious measure of ego satisfaction. Weighing in at over 36lbs and an overall length of 33 inches, a sturdy tripod and pan/tilt head is highly recommended. Pack mule not included.

psihog

Sep 21, 2003
looks like a bazooka. I'd run the other way if someone points that at me on the streets.