Cannot upload attachments in yahoo mail, windows xp

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
Had a company call me for help, they cannot email attachments through webmail with yahoo mail.

Two machines there, doesn't matter if it's IE8, Firefox 20, or Google Chrome, attachments cannot send. At this office they are running AVG but even disabled attachments don't work. I pretty much reset IE8 to default configuration, removed all toolbars, browser helper objects, etc., then reloaded the newest Adobe Flash, Java, & Adobe Reader. Nothing works.

I get home to my own machine, Kaspersky anti-virus, WinXP, no matter which browser, IE8, Firefox, Chrome, I cannot send email attachments through yahoo mail.

Pretty much all yahoo's support pages say that your own browser is screwed up and needs fixing. But, amongst 3 computers and 3 different browsers it isn't the browser that is screwed up.

Does anyone know any tips? Searching google returned nothing useful.

Thanks

Chiefcrowe

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2008
Strange.. tested on my pc and it was fine. May be your router or ISP. i'll try it again tomorrow at work

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
I tried multiple locations, between the office and from my home computer.

This is the AT&T version of Yahoo Mail, and it seems there are two different interfaces to upload files, the new way runs off of Java, not just javascript, and seems to be enabled on each system. I have since tried on a 4th computer and it defaulted to using an older interface for uploading attachments and it worked. I don't know how to revert back to the older file attachment interface on the other computers. Going back to Java 6 has fixed some other websites that I've troubleshooted for other businesses.

Also found the link to revert back to the classic interface, everything works inside that. For now am switching them back to the classic interface.

days like this I wish I wasn't in IT support...

Last edited:

Chiefcrowe

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2008
Must be the at&t version then because I tried it on a 2nd pc at work and it was fine. The regular yahoo mail doesn't use java - i don't have it installed.