Cannot install Windows on customer built PC

Kyle7885

Dec 5, 2014
I have built a customer PC, but I cannot install Windows 8.1. During the installation process I have to install to a driver but there is no driver to install to. I transferred Hw8 folder onto a USB drive and I was able to select the AMD AHCI Compatible RAID Controller and click Next. But nothing happens, the installation of Windows 8.1 does not continue.

How do I resolve this problem?

vailr

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
What motherboard & installation disc method are being used?
Windows 8.1 should already include an AHCI driver, but changing the bios setting to IDE mode would also be an option, if all else fails. Check your motherboard's support site for the correct AHCI mode driver, as well as for any bios firmware updates.

Kyle7885

Dec 5, 2014
Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-970A-D3P
Installation disk method - I'm not sure what this means. I have an Asus DVD drive installed and put the disc inside so it loads from that disk. I tried setting the BIOS setting to IDE mode but that has not worked. I'm going to try checking to see if the cable is attached correctly because it seems like the Motherboard is just not detecting the hard drive.

silicon

Nov 27, 2004
Installation disk method - I'm not sure what this means. I have an Asus DVD drive installed and put the disc inside so it loads from that disk. I tried setting the BIOS setting to IDE mode but that has not worked. I'm going to try checking to see if the cable is attached correctly because it seems like the Motherboard is just not detecting the hard drive.
check that the cable is good.

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
Set the drive controllers to ahci, set the drives in the bbs listing to the uefi listing, in the boot order set the uefi dvd drive to the first boot drive and try again. Make sure that you delete any existing partition and have windows format a new one.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
I have built a customer PC, but I cannot install Windows 8.1. During the installation process I have to install to a driver but there is no driver to install to. I transferred Hw8 folder onto a USB drive and I was able to select the AMD AHCI Compatible RAID Controller and click Next. But nothing happens, the installation of Windows 8.1 does not continue.

How do I resolve this problem?

So Windows is being installed onto a RAID array? Has the array been configured?

There are a lot of people here who would like to help you, but you can't be reluctant to give us details.

Tell us what the drive configuration is like, what SATA ports you are using for the drives, and what the drives are.

Kyle7885

Dec 5, 2014
The drive controllers is set to ahci, the bbs listing is set to uefi and boot option #1 is the dvd drive. Those were the options when i tried last time. I took this computer into a service shop and because I was not able to get the video feed to post. He was able to install Linux and then uninstalled it. Could that have caused a partition and would that require me to have Windows format a new one?

I only have 1 hard drive so I don't think i need to do RAID. What information would be needed. I have installed new hard drives and Windows before but this is my first attempt at building a PC.

Yes I meant custom not customer.

Kyle7885

Dec 5, 2014
So Windows is being installed onto a RAID array? Has the array been configured?

There are a lot of people here who would like to help you, but you can't be reluctant to give us details.

Tell us what the drive configuration is like, what SATA ports you are using for the drives, and what the drives are.

I don't know what the configuration is like. I have the DVD drive connected to SATA port #1 and the hard drive connected to SATA port #3.

The DVD drive is: Asus 24x DVD-RW Serial-ATA Internal OEM Optical Drive DRW-24B1ST (Black)

The Hard Drive is: WD Blue Desktop Hard Drive 1TB, 7200 RPM, SATA 6 Gb/sec

vailr

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I took this computer into a service shop and because I was not able to get the video feed to post. He was able to install Linux and then uninstalled it. Could that have caused a partition and would that require me to have Windows format a new one?

Yes. Delete all existing partitions & start over from scratch; create a new partition(s), quick format with NTFS, then proceed with Windows installation.
Note: the optical drive should be on the highest numbered Intel SATA port: either 5 or 3. The hard drive or SSD should be on Intel SATA port 0 or 1. Currently, you have the cabling mis-configured.

Last edited:

silicon

Nov 27, 2004
if it is a regular hard d rive its possible it needs to be formatted..try to format with the freeware available from the hard drive manufacturer.

Kyle7885

Dec 5, 2014
I switched the cabling so the hard drive is in port 1 and the DVD drive is in port 5. I don't know how to partition the hard drive. In the installation process there is an option for Repair Computer. I click on it and there was an option for Reset PC. When I tried it gave me an error message saying "Unable to reset your PC. A required drive partition is missing."

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
You can't repair because there is nothing there to repair.

Once the Windows installation detects your drive, you will be able to format/repartition it from there. Or you can plug it into another computer and perform that work.

Now that you have your drives installed in a better order, you want to go into the BIOS and:
-make sure the drives are detected
-make sure the hard drive is in the boot menu (presumably 2nd behind the DVD drive).

Start the Windows installer, proceed through the steps, and see if your drive is listed at the drive selection screen. If it is, delete the existing partition and click next.

I don't think you would need any hard drive controller drivers at this level for the 970 on a Windows 8 install.

If you have never gone through a guide to installing Windows, now would be a good time to do so:
http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/wi...lete-guide-to-a-windows-8-clean-installation/

Kyle7885

Dec 5, 2014
OK so I think the problem is that it's not detecting the Hard drive. I have only seen the Asus DVD drive and possibly the USB drive. Any advice on why it is not detecting the hard drive or how I can find it in the BIOS?

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
So, if you look in the Boot Option Priorities on the BIOS Features page, the hard drive doesn't appear at all?

If we aren't getting that far, it would be time to ensure that:
-the drive is working (you should be able to determine this to degree if you hear the drive spin up)
-a good SATA cable is being used.

You may need another computer or hard drive enclosure to make sure the drive is working.

FrankRamiro

Sep 5, 2012
I switched the cabling so the hard drive is in port 1 and the DVD drive is in port 5. I don't know how to partition the hard drive. In the installation process there is an option for Repair Computer. I click on it and there was an option for Reset PC. When I tried it gave me an error message saying "Unable to reset your PC. A required drive partition is missing."

Does your PC has a PCI Video Card and integrated video card?