cannot format new hard drive **fixed I think** :)

evilmantis

Aug 15, 2002
After going around and around trying to figure out an issue, it was suggested by several people (on and off the boards) that I probably have a bad HD on my laptop. Just replaced it. The BIOS recognizes it -- but the setup disks can't format it! It just says "windows cannot format this drive."

Any ideas??

Thanks
Goldie

birdpup

Banned
May 7, 2005
Did you ensure the jumper (or lack thereof) was in the proper position? My laptop hard drive did not require a jumper because it is the only drive available to the system. Yours may be the same way.

What are you using to format, a Windows XP install CD or a manufacturer provided recovery CD? Have you tried other methods of partitioning the drive, such as fdisk, cfdisk, or a linux install CD?

Have you tested the drive with the manufacturer's diagnostic utility? The diagnostic utilities often provide a tool for preparing the drive for use.

evilmantis

Aug 15, 2002
I am using the maufacturer supplied XP disk. My next step is fdisk. I realized that the drive came with a partition already on it. It did not come with any manufacturer disks or anything. There are also no jumpers. Right now the computer is hanging at 20% formatted with the quick format (that's where it gave up before. Now it's just stuck, so I don't know whether that is progress or not...)

evilmantis

Aug 15, 2002
Well, it looks as though all I had to do was delete that original partition. It's now installing the setup files. Good start!!

Thanks for your help though :)