Cannot find a file

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
http://www.primotechnology.com...17/half-life-2-portal/

The link above details how to add the Portal Gun into Half Life 2.

To be short, inside the link in the description, it does not say where to find the steam folder it mentions. I have searched my PC and I cannot find it. Either Vista has hid the folder and even the 'Search' function cannot find it, or something isn't right.

Can anyone with Steam and Vista64 copy/paste the file path for the Steam folder that the link mentions?

eggrolls

Oct 11, 2006
That depends where you installed Steam to. The default for the portal folder should be C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\yoursteamid\portal\

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
The Steamapps is an exe file that only flashes the command prompt and does nothing else. Might I be missing something here?

Also, there is no Steam folder in my Program Files(x86) folder. My Steam folder is in my Program Files(x86)\Common Files folder.

AmberClad

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
Steamapps should be a folder, not an executable.

Here's a screencap showing my Portal folder, with the folder path shown. (Yours is going to be in a slightly different location inside of Program Files because I'm using a non-default Steam install location.)

AmberClad

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
I don't think that's the Steam folder you're supposed to be looking for (I have that same "SteamService.exe" inside my Program Files \ Common Files \ Steam folder, in addition to the "real" Steam folder I showed you.)

Why not just try using Windows search to find "portal"?

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
I did and it only found the desktop shortcut.

EDIT:

I found it, but now I am confused. I have a second HDD in my PC which happens to be my old XP HDD. It has all of my old data on it and I am even able to play games from it (only ones that don't require a CD to play). I guess since that is where I have Steam installed to, that's where it added all of my files.

However, my confusion lies with its placement. Before I installed Steam on this PC, I was unable to run it from my old HDD, nor was I able to play any games from it (understandable). After I installed it to my new PC and even add the file location to my Program Files(x86) folder, Vista just tosses all of the new files on my old HDD. So now that Steam is installed on my new PC, I can access all of the files off the old HDD.

So now it seems to me that when I take my old HDD out and put it back in my old PC, I will have to reinstall everything again as well as update it all...

I really dislike Vista and it just gave me another reason why I should dislike it.

Anyways, thanks a lot for sticking with this and helping me out.