Cannot Boot Into Windows :.(

TrptJim

Dec 3, 2003
Hi,
Yesterday my pc decided not to boot into windows anymore. Right after POST, a messages comes up saying that drvmain.sdb is corrupt or missing. I can't even go into safe mode! I have searched up and down the internet for anything close to this problem, and I've only found one, and it hasn't been resolved. Does anyone know what this could be? System specs:

AthlonXP @ 2ghz
512mb Kingston HyperX Dual Channel at 333mhz
Antec Truepower 330W
Abit NF7-S v1.2
Radeon 9700Pro
SB Audigy 1
ATI TV Wonder

I've tried disconnecting all hardware except for the essentials, with no change. Could it be that a piece of hardware is going bad? I dont have another PC to test this with. Someone please help.

Thanks
Jim
trptjim@yifan.net

TrptJim

Dec 3, 2003
"Windows could not start because the following files are missing or corrupt:
C:\Windows\AppPatch\drvmain.sdb
You can attempt to repair this file by starting the Windows Setup using the original Setup CD-ROM.
Select "r" at the first screen to start repair."

It seems I cannot find my Windows CD; it has been about a year since a format. I have my old 2000pro disc, but with all the video editing I do, I do not have a viable backup device for 300+gb of data, and I cannot put my drive on another PC. I should have kept one drive for backup. The bad side of Raid-0 rears it's ugly head :(

jbrock31

Apr 18, 2004
Well, i would suggest trying to find your windows cd or borrowing one, and doing the repair, being that it is suggested.

TrptJim

Dec 3, 2003
Yeah I know :( I think I've turned everything in my house sideways twice. I would at least like to know why it happened. The only thread I could find on it was this: http://forums.techguy.org/showthread.php?threadid=168459&4aaf88ed04a70ab2a73061e155cf06ad and it wasn't extremely helpful; one person in that thread says that the message showed up even with the installation Cd in, though I'm starting to think he forgot to set his cd-rom to boot first. Ah well, the search continues...

Sianath

Sep 1, 2001
What happened on the machine prior to this occuring? If you can get to the Recovery Console (you'll need a CD for that if you don't have it installed) you can go into the AppPatch folder and verify the file is there. If it is, rename it to drvmain.old (if it's not there, just continue on). After that, how to proceed is based on whether or not you have any Service Packs installed.

If you do, you can copy drvmain.sdb from the c:\windows\servicepackfiles\i386 folder to c:\windows\apppatch and then try rebooting. If you have never installed any SPs on the machine, you will not have that folder, so you will need to copy it from your CD ( <cdrom>:\i386 folder).

Worst-case scenario, yes an in-place upgrade will work, but it might be overkill if this file is all you need.

TrptJim

Dec 3, 2003
I found my cd! Woohoo! One problem, it doesn't detect my hard drives because they are on SATA Raid, and I don't have a floppy drive to load drivers. /cry

TrptJim

Dec 3, 2003
Well, after tracking down a floppy drive (and floppies! had to go to 3 different stores to find some!) I finally managed to boot to the recovery console, and chkdsk and fixboot. Tada! Everything works fine! I guess the lesson here is to always keep your Windows CD handy, and never throw away that floppy drive!

Relayer

Diamond Member
Oct 30, 1999
You don't need a floppy drive to boot from the CD and get into recovery console to perform fixboot and chkdsk.

TrptJim

Dec 3, 2003
Well..a depressing update. I cannot boot into windows again, but this time is more serious. I had a power outage earlier today, and when the power came back on, I found that my video card didn't work anymore. I got no POST, no video, no beeps. Putting in an old GeForce2 let my PC boot perfectly fine. Anyone know of a power outage can kill a vid card? I don't have a UPS, but I have a nice surge protector.

n0cmonkey

Elite Member
Jun 10, 2001
It's been known to happen. I had a NIC go bad just the other day (without a powerflicker :confused;).

I'd look into a better backup solution. ;)

TrptJim

Dec 3, 2003
Yeah, it's just really depressing that something like that can insta-kill your PC. APC 600W UPS ordered!