Question Cannot access RDP if router firewall on

leungalv

Sep 1, 2020
So we seem to be having an issue accessing computers through RDP if the router's firewall is on.

Details:
Router - Asus RT-AC3100
Signature Version - 2.192
Firmware - 3.0.0.4.385_20631

Each computer's RDP is set to a different port (e.g. "54321", "54322" etc.), has a static IPV4 ip, and running Symantec Endpoint with firewall configured allowing locally to the aforementioned port.

Router is port forwarded external port to internal port (e.g. ext 6789 --> internal 54321).

When the router's firewall is OFF, RDP can be accessed internally and externally no problems. However, when the router's firewall is ON, RDP cannot be accessed.

RDP was working with router's firewall ON about a month ago, then suddenly stopped allowing connections even with port forwarded. Do I suddenly need to set "Inbound Firewall Rules"?

Are there any thoughts on this?

razel

Platinum Member
May 14, 2002
Plenty of thoughts, but that's not what's important.

You said it was working with firewall on. Was that via local IP address?

leungalv

Sep 1, 2020
Plenty of thoughts, but that's not what's important.

You said it was working with firewall on. Was that via local IP address?

No, it worked with the firewall on both locally and externally, previously.

The only thing that I can see that appeared to change is the Signature Version on the router. Though I am uncertain whether this would affect the connection?

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Can u lost a picture of your port forwarding rules? iIRC, there needs to be an internal IP + port to forward the external port to.

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
The right way to configure multiple RDP access from the outside.

Do not change individual PC's port.

Create separate port forwarding rule for each PC.

Instead ask remote user to enter port number after the URL name or IP in the RDP application.

Untitled.png

Untitled.png

Last edited:
Reactions: ch33zw1z