Cannonball Run (NY-LA) record broken because of lack of traffic due to pandemic

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/11/us/speeding-tickets-cars-coronavirus.html
mail

The nation’s epically uncrowded highway system allowed a white 2019 Audi A8 L sedan with extra fuel tanks to leave the New York City garage above and arrive in Los Angeles less than 27 hours later. :eek:

It was averaging more than 100 miles per hour over nearly 3,000 miles.

The route between those traditional end points is up to drivers. The choice is between a northern route, following much of I-80 and I-70, or a southern one, of almost identical distance, along parts of I-70, I-44 and I-40.
In today’s low-traffic world, Google Maps estimates that either drive should take 41 hours or so, without stops.

“It’s amazing how fun it is to drive on the highways right now,” said a former Cannonball Run record-holder. “It’s like having an American autobahn.”

The car (26hrs 38min):
New 26:38 Cannonball Record Allegedly Set With America On Pause ...

If the record goes even lower, it may be out of reach in the long run, since such conditions may never return.

“What makes me sad is that it might be the final chapter,” Mr. Toman said.

Last edited:

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I honestly thought they stopped doing that in the late 80's. The movies brought too much attention to them, or so I was told.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Yeah... Ed Bolian (one of the former record holders) didn't seem too happy about this when he announced it on his YouTube channel. I guess that he considered this to be "cheating" due to the lack of traffic.

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
Yeah... Ed Bolian (one of the former record holders) didn't seem too happy about this when he announced it on his YouTube channel. I guess that he considered this to be "cheating" due to the lack of traffic.

It really is. They knew the roads were empty and did it anyways. Other Cannonball Run's were done with a significant amount of chance/luck build it. Doing 100mph across the entire USA? There is a much more risk built-in to the run in a non-pandemic time.

These guy had a huge upper hand knowing the highways are almost deserted. Kind of lame,.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Traffic was less in the 80s as well but the speed limits lower and the cars crappier.

OccamsToothbrush

Golden Member
Aug 21, 2005

See, there's the spirit that makes America great. Hundreds of thousands dead possibly by the time this is over, trillions in economic damage, who cares? His record of breaking the law slightly better than other people broke the law is the important thing. Good to see at least one person can focus on what really matters.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
See, there's the spirit that makes America great. Hundreds of thousands dead possibly by the time this is over, trillions in economic damage, who cares? His record of breaking the law slightly better than other people broke the law is the important thing. Good to see at least one person can focus on what really matters.
Culture must be nurtured to survive.

Feb 25, 2011
Lower speed limits = higher fines, jail time for same speed.

One article I read described the car as plain Jane. 450+ hp is not plain Jane.

They probably meant "plain" in appearance, not necessarily the engine. It's not a Corvette or something.

Although 450hp isn't that crazy any more. Most luxury sedans have a >=400 hp engine option from the factory. (The Audi's is the second engine option in the list here.)

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
The

I guess that the Audi A8 L comes with that much power stock. It should for how much is costs.

That said, 450 HP isn't really a big deal now. My 2018 Mustang GT has 460 stock. You have to get to 700+ horsepower like the Dodge Hellcat before you impress the gearheads nowadays.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001

Honestly, that seemed to be the tact that he was taking with the video. With everything else going on, making law enforcement have to deal with Cannonballers going 120 MPH down I-80 is a bad idea.

OccamsToothbrush

Golden Member
Aug 21, 2005
Honestly, that seemed to be the tact that he was taking with the video. With everything else going on, making law enforcement have to deal with Cannonballers going 120 MPH down I-80 is a bad idea.

What are the highway patrols and state troopers doing now with traffic so light? Maybe they're hoping for some Cannonballers to try to sneak through at 150mph, breaks up the monotony. Kicking some asshole in the nads for a solid hour can give them a sense of purpose.

• Haha
Reactions: ultimatebob

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
What are the highway patrols and state troopers doing now with traffic so light? Maybe they're hoping for some Cannonballers to try to sneak through at 150mph, breaks up the monotony. Kicking some asshole in the nads for a solid hour can give them a sense of purpose.

Depending on the state, they're either probably doing little of anything or they're patrolling city streets at night and harassing/fining people who aren't in their homes.

The stay at home rules vary so much from state to state.... some are pretty lax, while others sound like something out of Soviet era Russia.

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000

Audi A8 L is an expensive, luxury land barge, but unclear if this engine was V8 or V6. Anyway, plain Jane in the context of the super sedans that usually do the Cannonball run.

Not sure why they even bothered because someone with an AMG or M5 will surely re-break the record soon. I guess temporary bragging rights is better than none.

Depending on the state, they're either probably doing little of anything or they're patrolling city streets at night and harassing/fining people who aren't in their homes.

The stay at home rules vary so much from state to state.... some are pretty lax, while others sound like something out of Soviet era Russia.
Actually there are a lot of speeding tickets being given out right now. It's been somewhat of a "crime of opportunity."

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Audi A8 L is an expensive, luxury land barge, but unclear if this engine was V8 or V6. Anyway, plain Jane in the context of the super sedans that usually do the Cannonball run.

Not sure why they even bothered because someone with an AMG or M5 will surely re-break the record soon. I guess temporary bragging rights is better than none.
why would a amg or M5 break the record?
they have higher top speeds than the A8 L?
also, arent all cars capped by a limiter of something like 150mph?

• Haha
Reactions: killster1

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001

Ed Bolian did his drive in an AMG Mercedes, and so did the 2019 record holder. You really need to think about fuel mileage as well as speed, as a lot of time is lost during the refueling stops.

Reactions: killster1

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
you're right, they probably don't spend a lot of time near the speed limiter, although they'd have to be cruising at 130mph for long stretches of highway!

I was thinking highway fuel economy would matter, to minimize fuel stops, but cars like the AMG E63 and M5 have terrible fuel economy. I think in reality, all these sedans don't vary that much in fuel burn rate @ 120 mph. No cars (that I know of) optimize for fuel efficiency well above the speed limit.

FWIW the U.S. spec A8 L is listed with a turbo V6 with 355hp. Perhaps the raw performance of the car matters little compared to the skill and performance of the drivers.

brandonbull

Diamond Member
May 3, 2005
Hundreds of thousands dead?

EliteRetard

Diamond Member
Mar 6, 2006
Few years back I made it from the tip of the Florida Keys to Seattle WA in about 42 hours...everybody said it was impossible.