'Cannibal' Cop

Status
Not open for further replies.

nixium

Aug 25, 2008
Apologies if this a repost, but I did a half-hearted search and didn't find anything about this. No pun intended.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_..._gilbert_valle_s_sexual_fantasies.single.html

http://www.slate.com/blogs/crime/20..._s_behind_the_recent_rise_in_cannibalism.html

If you're anywhere near NYC/NJ you can't have possibly missed this.

It's like out of something in criminal minds. Except the perp in question... didn't actually do anything, and could potentially have life in prison despite not committing any violence against any of his targets.

My thoughts: Normally I will not support punishment for thought crime - no matter how repugnant the thought - but from what I read, there was action involved. As a policeman, he's naturally held to higher standards. Plus the fact that he took steps such as check databases, meet the victims, etc are concerning.

And also, my 2 cents as an armchair psychologist - this person is exposed to violence everyday as a part of his job. Unlike someone indulging in pure fantasy, he has the ability to take part in violence (legally, and for possibly "right" reasons). Maybe it's a female shoplifter first, maybe a drugged up hooker who struggles.. but it might all lead down a slippery slope.

Thoughts?

lotus503

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sorry I think prosecuting anyone when no crime has been committed is insanity straight out of minority report.

They can certainly take action and prosecute on actions he has taken that are criminal

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
What if they find large quantities of bomb making materials (all legal), along with several vests sown to accept home made bombs and a map of the NYC Subway system with several areas circled and marked as "blow up here"?

No crime was committed...should nothing be done?

lotus503

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2005
What if they find large quantities of bomb making materials (all legal), along with several vests sown to accept home made bombs and a map of the NYC Subway system with several areas circled and marked as "blow up here"?

No crime was committed...should nothing be done?

I would think they could prove beyond reasonable doubt many conspiracy charges based on your scenario. so in short the totality of your scenario I suspect has law surrounding it and is illegal.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
I suspect it is the same in the case of the cannibal cop...though I readily admit I have avoided reading much on the matter on purpose.

EDIT: Most likely "conspiracy to commit"...

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001
"After deliberating for 16 hours, the jury found Gilberto Valle guilty of both conspiracy to kidnap several women and unauthorized access of a government database. He will be sentenced on June 19."

nixium

Aug 25, 2008
Probably a good thing you didn't, cybr, his chat transcripts are truly disturbing.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I would think they could prove beyond reasonable doubt many conspiracy charges based on your scenario. so in short the totality of your scenario I suspect has law surrounding it and is illegal.

That's what they got this guy on too, conspiracy. Conspiracy requires action in service of the plot too. I thought the evidence of an overt act was pretty flimsy in this case though.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
I see no evidence of him taking action to fulfill his twisted fantasies. Having and discussing sick twisted fantasies is not, and should not be a crime.

nixium

Aug 25, 2008
I see no evidence of him taking action to fulfill his twisted fantasies. Having and discussing sick twisted fantasies is not, and should not be a crime.

As far as I read, he is guilty of using restricted federal databases for his personal purposes/stalking. Of that there's no doubt.

The tricky part is conspiracy to commit these crimes. Apparently several dates were set to carry forth his plans. However, these dates came and went and nothing happened.

Clearly, he should lost his cop status and needs psychological counseling, and the appropriate punishment for misusing his police powers. But he's potentially facing life in prison. That punishment seems far too much given he didn't actually do anything ...

Status
Not open for further replies.