Canned air? Air compressor?

AmberClad

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
I seem to have a bit of a dust problem brewing inside one of my desktops. What should I be using to clean it out? Air in a can? A mini air compressor? If I go with canned air, how many 10oz cans does it take to clean a small computer?

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
Canned air is fine, just use it outside and make sure that you're actually blowing dust outside of the case and not just moving it around. A 10oz can should be good for a few small computers.

Markbnj

Elite Member <br>Moderator Emeritus
Sep 16, 2005
www.markbetz.net
I open mine up and clean it out once a month or so. The price of having it sitting on the floor. I either use an air can + vacuum, or a brush + vacuum.

ZzZGuy

Golden Member
Nov 15, 2006
I wouldn't use a air compressor unless it has a moisture trap to catch the water in the line. On humid days you can water your plants with it.

AmberClad

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
Originally posted by: Markbnj
I open mine up and clean it out once a month or so. The price of having it sitting on the floor. I either use an air can + vacuum, or a brush + vacuum.
I've always have this perception that you're not supposed to use a vacuum on a computer's innards, due to possible ESD (especially if you use the brush attachment). Not sure if it's true though. I'm also a little paranoid that I'll end up suctioning off a capacitor or mini heatsink :(.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
ESD is probably more of a concern in the winter. Just having dry air rushing across something can cause static buildup. I think that's why the canned air isn't just air.

InflatableBuddha

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2007
Originally posted by: lxskllr
ESD is probably more of a concern in the winter. Just having dry air rushing across something can cause static buildup. I think that's why the canned air isn't just air.

True. I used some on an old machine and after extended spraying, it left a white residue on some components. Didn't seem to affect the performance at all; everything worked normally. The best practice is to use numerous short sprays (0.5 sec or less) - removes the dust and leaves no residue.

I have used a vacuum in the past without incident, but I've read too many horror stories, so I'm sticking with canned air from now on.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Originally posted by: ZzZGuy
I wouldn't use a air compressor unless it has a moisture trap to catch the water in the line. On humid days you can water your plants with it.

ROFL.... are you serious???

i was actually thinkn of getting one. I go though like 10 cans a month to blow out all my rigs.

Blah.... Thanks for the heads up.

AmberClad

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
Originally posted by: lxskllr
canned air isn't just air.
I've been wondering about that actually. I would have been a little miffed if it turned out the stuff was nothing more than normal air compressed into a can. Right up there with bottled (read: tap) water and pet rocks :roll:.

nineball9

Aug 10, 2003
A good 1-inch paint brush helps a lot cleaning heatsinks, fans and hard to reach area. (The bistles on cheap paint brushes tend to bend at oblique angles.) While a paint brush won't remove dust from the inside of a computer, it will knock much of it to the bottom of the case where it can be easily removed. Also saves on the amount of canned air which can be used after the initial dust removal with a brush.

Cleaning the inside of a power supply is easy with a brush and followed with canned air though dismantling a power supply is usually beyond normal cleaning.

Markbnj

Elite Member <br>Moderator Emeritus
Sep 16, 2005
www.markbetz.net
Originally posted by: AmberClad
Originally posted by: Markbnj
I've always have this perception that you're not supposed to use a vacuum on a computer's innards, due to possible ESD (especially if you use the brush attachment). Not sure if it's true though. I'm also a little paranoid that I'll end up suctioning off a capacitor or mini heatsink :(.

Actually, what I do is hold the vacuum down in the space at the bottom of the case, and either spray the dust off the heatsinks and nooks and crannies or knock it out with a brush. The dust falls down and gets sucked into the vacuum. Haven't had any problems with the method so far (about 20 years).

Blain

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Canned air is dry air, not simply compressed.
I use canned air along with a vacuum hose. I always hold the hose while touching the case to make sure the hose has a path to a ground.

"A good 1-inch paint brush helps a lot cleaning heatsinks, fans and hard to reach area. (The bistles on cheap paint brushes tend to bend at oblique angles.)"

Make sure you use natural fiber bristles and not nylon or polyester.

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
There are vacuum tools especially designed for use in computers- They are non-conductive so as not to cause ESD problems. They are far better than blowing air - which simply moves the dust and dirt around in the case. The idea is to remove it - not just spread it around. :)Tools

ZzZGuy

Golden Member
Nov 15, 2006
Originally posted by: aigomorla

ROFL.... are you serious???

i was actually thinkn of getting one. I go though like 10 cans a month to blow out all my rigs.

Blah.... Thanks for the heads up.

Yep. The larger the compressor the more moisture you will get.

What happens is the air along with the moisture is compressed into a small space, some condense in the reservoir and some in the hose line as you release the air and the temperature drops a good bit. After a while you can drain all the water out, but i still wouldn't use it myself.

If it's dry then maybe you won't have a problem, but i've used too many air powered tools and getting my hands soaked when i'm done to even consider using a compressor on a computer.

I haven't used hobby style compressors that do not use a reservoir, but i'd imagine the same thing applies to water condensing in the hose. For better info on this ask on a model hobby website.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004

Yep. The larger the compressor the more moisture you will get.

What happens is the air along with the moisture is compressed into a small space, some condense in the reservoir and some in the hose line as you release the air and the temperature drops a good bit. After a while you can drain all the water out, but i still wouldn't use it myself.

If it's dry then maybe you won't have a problem, but i've used too many air powered tools and getting my hands soaked when i'm done to even consider using a compressor on a computer.

I haven't used hobby style compressors that do not use a reservoir, but i'd imagine the same thing applies to water condensing in the hose. For better info on this ask on a model hobby website.

Even those crappy tire pumps that plug into the cigarette lighter produce condensation. I've seen it bubble out of the end of the hose when disconnected from the valve stem.

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
Originally posted by: mrblotto
Vacuum Cleaner hose attachment FTW!

Exactly! I have used this tool kit for several years - it really works and the price is right . . .

Tool Kit

Smitty308

Apr 15, 2004
I use an air compressor on every dirty computer that I work on and have never had a problem. Just don't use full pressure and only use short bursts. Don't let fans spin out of control by sticking a small screwdriver in the blades. And I don't think the moisture is a problem. Some climates have so much humidity that is sucked in by the fans under normal operation that internal parts can rust. I know because I have worked on a couple of computers from the west coast.

To cap things off, I think the sellers of canned air want to sell their product and a lot of people have bought into the hype. But then, most people don't have an air compressor either.

Good Luck
Smitty