Candy Crush Saga... does this game drive anyone else nuts?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by ultimatebob, May 12, 2013.

1. ultimatebob

ultimatebob Lifer

So... all of my Facebook friends are playing this weird Candy Crush Saga game, so I gave it a try. After quickly blowing through a few levels, I noticed some really annoying things about it...

1) The game seems to rely on luck almost as much as it relies on skill. No matter how good you are at coming up with 4 and 5 piece combination moves, there are many times where you lose simply because the pieces will not fall your way.

2) The in-game purchase system is really annoying. Some of the power-ups they give you are wicked powerful, to the point where you can beat any level no matter how bad you are if you're winning to pony up $5 for some add-ons. But, seriously, though... what is the point in doing that? Beating a level with these cheats is like getting a participation medal for finishing a Little League game. Sure, you get an award, but you probably didn't really do much to deserve it.

What do you guys think, besides the obvious "wrong forum!" comments? Since this a multi-platform game targeted to casual gamers, it doesn't really belong in PC Gaming.

2. disappoint

disappoint Diamond Member

Whats with all the candy ass games lately? First it's Candy Box now this. I bet there are people with SLI video cards playing candy ass ASCII text games and it just makes me lol.

3. DrPizza

DrPizza Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
    Administrator

Really? I occasionally play it when bored. Until level 33, there are none that are that difficult.

4. leper84

leper84 Senior member

Bet you that ascii web game has better gameplay than some crap like Crysis 3....:whiste:

5. cubby1223

cubby1223 Lifer

It's the music. People play the game because the music is super-addictive to listen to.

Then it's just a matter of motivating people to make in-app purchases so they can continue listening to the music without the frustration of a difficult level.

6. akshatp

akshatp Diamond Member

Is it just me or is this a reincarnation of Bejeweled?

7. sdifox

sdifox No Lifer

when in doubt, delete.

8. Peter Nixeus

Peter Nixeus Senior member

Set filters to block all candy crush invites = problem solved...

9. SheHateMe

SheHateMe Diamond Member

I feel like the game's animations are a little slow. Bejeweled is much better.

10. ElFenix

ElFenix Elite Member<br> Super Moderator<br>Off Topic
    Super Moderator

i'm going trifire just to speed up my ascii games

edit: where's my bridge?

11. Sable

Sable Golden Member

Despicably addictive. And it's partly skill and partly luck. lol @ anyone buying powerups.

I'm on level 265.

12. mikeymikec

mikeymikec Diamond Member

Facebook games get on my nerves because despite all my efforts to block any game information from my news feed, Facebook apparently feels that their desire to show me games notifications trumps my preference not to see them.

13. It's Not Lupus

It's Not Lupus Senior member

Play a man's game: where's my perry?

14. StrangerGuy

StrangerGuy Diamond Member

I dislike that game not because it is popular, but rather it is so luck dependent to the point it becomes pointless.

15. rga

rga Senior member

I worked with a guy who'd spent more than $20. He didn't specifically say what it was for, but I guess it was for "powerups" after seeing this thread. He's never been on Facebook, but he set up an account just so he could keep playing for free, or something like that. He seems to be hooked.

He was playing another game a while back. He'd spent close to $60 on it. He justified it by saying that's what he would pay for PS3 game that he'd play for a month.

16. chin311

chin311 Diamond Member

the whole waiting for your "lives" to regenerate is the worst part, but I def get what they are trying to do and I'm sure its working like mad.

one girl I know has spent $30 on it!!!

I'm on level 75 or so and haven't spent a dime. It can be fun but I agree it is annoying how it is more about luck than skill but I'm sure they laughing all the way to the bank!

17. ultimatebob

ultimatebob Lifer

Oh well... at least it's better than most of the Xanga games. I swear that those things are designed by psychologists to insure maximum irritation if you're not willing to either spend money or constantly harass your Facebook friends to progress in the game.

18. DrPizza

DrPizza Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
    Administrator

How the hell do you get past level 35?? I got to level 35, and it seems to be the end of the game, unless you pay money.

And, music and sound off, ftw.

19. dbk

dbk Lifer

I think u have to request "tickets" from 3 of your friends or pay $.99 to get to the next set of levels

20. chin311

chin311 Diamond Member

there's another option, where you have to complete 3 "quests" to unlock the next set of levels. it's free. but you can only play 1 of the 3 quests per 24 hours lol. so you have to either pay .99cents or play 1 level per day until all 3 are complete and then it will unlock the next set.

game is setup for maximum profits!

21. crabbyman

crabbyman Senior member

I'm so hipster. I played this game when it first came out and gave up when I got stuck on a level in the 60's. Nobody else I knew was playing it so I could get no help.

I started playing it again last week when I saw half of my FB friends were on now.

The whole luck vs skill thing drives me nuts too. I'm great at the matching and planning part. But when you don't know what is coming or where the candies will fall (in stages with splits) or chocolates destroying your life, it drives you nuts.

22. bonkers325

bonkers325 Lifer

it's all luck because even if you plan the best combos, the candies almost never fall your way. it's not horrible because i play out my 5 lives on the train twice a day every day on weekdays. i'm at level 86 now and stuck because the candies never fall my way.

23. Spineshank

Spineshank Diamond Member

I like it. Some levels I think are designed just to piss people off. I pay to unlock the next episode. Thats it though.

24. loki8481

loki8481 Lifer

I liked it, until I got to somewhere in the 100's when I realized I finally hit the wall where my only options to beat the level were paying, or bashing my head against it for weeks until the stars aligned and I got increadibly lucky with everything matching up (iirc, it was the first level that contained bombs, those replicating blocks, the black null-blocks, and teleports all in the same stage).

that's when I uninstalled the game.

I have some friends in the +200's, but I don't believe any have gotten there without paying for it.

25. M0oG0oGaiPan

M0oG0oGaiPan Diamond Member

i have no problem with people paying for stuff in the game if they like it. i have like 300+ games on steam I've never even installed.

the whole limited # of lives and ticket system is annoying but I think it helps me from getting full blown addicted to it. I'm ok with that.