Candy Bars!!

Nograts

Platinum Member
Dec 1, 2014
http://www.bbc.com/news/business-31514366

Swiss food giant Nestle will be removing all artificial flavours and colours from its chocolate products in the US, the firm said on Tuesday.
Its US unit has promised to get rid of artificial flavours and government certified colours in more than 250 chocolates by the end of this year.
The move was prompted by its market research, which showed that US consumers wanted the additives gone.
Nestle will replace the flavours and colours with natural ingredients.
The ingredients from natural sources are certified as safe by the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA), the company said.
New recipes
For example, the centre of its Butterfinger bars will now have annatto, which comes from the seeds found in the fruit from the achiote tree, instead of certified colours Red 40 and Yellow 5, it said in a statement on Tuesday.
"In CRUNCH, natural vanilla flavour will replace artificial vanillin."

Oh boy oh boy! Can't wait to try these and see how big of a difference natural vs artificial is. I might have to run and buy some before they get replaced....do my own taste test. :hmm:

I don't really have a sweet tooth but I do enjoy a kit kat bar every now and again.

Sulaco

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2003
I don't understand. This is P&N! Who can I hate in this story?!?

Is it the LIBS with OBOZO in office?!? Is it the conservatards and their CONSERVATIVE BRAIN DEFECTS?!?

Someone help me!!:mad::mad::mad:

Nograts

Platinum Member
Dec 1, 2014
I don't understand. This is P&N! Who can I hate in this story?!?

Is it the LIBS with OBOZO in office?!? Is it the conservatards and their CONSERVATIVE BRAIN DEFECTS?!?

Someone help me!!:mad::mad::mad:

:awe: that's why I posted here. Can't hate chocolate! But I'm sure some of you will find a way...

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
Oh ya, because in a 95% sugar product it was the artificial flavors that make it unhealthy.

MiniDoom

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2004
Oh ya, because in a 95% sugar product it was the artificial flavors that make it unhealthy.

haha, that's what I was thinking. reminds me of a friend of mine who always bitches about GMO's while twisting up unfiltered cigarettes.

Nograts

Platinum Member
Dec 1, 2014
I'm not saying they'll be any healthier, just curious how they'll taste.

Belgians have the best chocolate though. Need to freedomize their secrets...

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
This is just a ploy by Michelle Obama and the Oil Thugs. See, Michelle wants kids to be less fat, so she wants to ruin the taste of candy. The Oil Thugs want more disposable income for people, so they can raise the price of oil.

Don't let yourself fall asleep. That is how the government transmits thoughts into your mind. If you are one of the sheeple who sleep, then I dont trust your anti Obama Oil Thug arguments.

Nov 8, 2012
No one that ever eats this shit will ever notice. Stupid move on their part from a market perspective.

Do you see people at Whole Foods buying Butterfingers and Snickers?

Bingo.

But to each their own. I'm not going to tell a huge corporation how to do their job, but I will tell them (as the target consumer) - that their idea is fucking retarded and won't do anything but increase their costs and possibly hurt sales.

Last edited:

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
Very nice! Smart move on their part.

I don't think we'll know that until we see what it does to their sales. If they are right and the consumers like the new products, good move. If not, bad move.

Consumers always say they want healthier stuff, but they don't always buy the healthier stuff they say they want. We'll have to see how it turns out.

"Natural" ingredients or not, something with that much sugar and fat certainly is not going to be healthy by any stretch of the imagination.

Nograts

Platinum Member
Dec 1, 2014
I don't think we'll know that until we see what it does to their sales. If they are right and the consumers like the new products, good move. If not, bad move.

Consumers always say they want healthier stuff, but they don't always buy the healthier stuff they say they want. We'll have to see how it turns out.

"Natural" ingredients or not, something with that much sugar and fat certainly is not going to be healthy by any stretch of the imagination.

Right and I don't think their goal is to convince people it is healthy. Chocolate isn't inherently unhealthy, neither is peanut butter. But....cut out some of the artificial crap and it's slightly "healthier" than before. Who knows. I'll try it for sure.

Newell Steamer

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2014
Candy bars are not a staple food item. You don't need to eat it everyday, like say a piece of chicken, broccoli and some rice. So, I honestly don't care. I don't think I've picked up a candy bar in well over 10 years.

And, if I am going to eat something sweet, it will be from a bakery. Or, if it's a piece of chocolate, it won't be mass produced factory crap,.. even if they put natural ingredients in it.

Nonetheless, sounds like they are 'listening' to the market. People want natural ingredients, so, they are giving it to them.

Nograts

Platinum Member
Dec 1, 2014
Candy bars are not a staple food item. You don't need to eat it everyday, like say a piece of chicken, broccoli and some rice. So, I honestly don't care. I don't think I've picked up a candy bar in well over 10 years.

And, if I am going to eat something sweet, it will be from a bakery. Or, if it's a piece of chocolate, it won't be mass produced factory crap,.. even if they put natural ingredients in it.

Nonetheless, sounds like they are 'listening' to the market. People want natural ingredients, so, they are giving it to them.

Well remember that a huge chunk of America doesn't live in NYC, so walking to a deli or bakery or cupcake shop or what have you isn't exactly like running down the block.

Newell Steamer

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2014
Well remember that a huge chunk of America doesn't live in NYC, so walking to a deli or bakery or cupcake shop or what have you isn't exactly like running down the block.

Makes total sense. No one will drive ~15 minutes to get a candy bar. So, they'll buy a pack of something at Target/whatever and have it stored in their homes for when they do want to snack on something sweet.

And, fresh baked stuff from the local supermarket/Costco won't have too much of a storage life at home either,..

So, yes agreed, there certainly are a number of folks that eat candy bars - no doubt about that. And, it looks one of the mass producers is listening to their customers.

Now, lets see if what they are asking for is what they really wanted! For example, Gimlet drinkers (vodka or gin) usually want the artificial lemon flavor juice in their drinks, not the fresh squeezed lemon juice. I think we may get something similar with this switch. Possible people looking for and tracking down the artificial flavored versions,.. like the Twinkie hording that occurred 3 years ago.

Last edited:

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Another example of the fact that evolution drives in the direction of the liberal. Furthermore, the CBD is probably caused by artificial chemicals, especially petroleum based ones. Note the rise of rightwing lunacy with the rise of the oil industry. Here's to a more natural tomorrow. :thumbsup:

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
Another example of the fact that evolution drives in the direction of the liberal. Furthermore, the CBD is probably caused by artificial chemicals, especially petroleum based ones. Note the rise of rightwing lunacy with the rise of the oil industry. Here's to a more natural tomorrow. :thumbsup:

Just wait. Yesterday's liberal is tomorrow's conservative.

Take a good look at everyone younger than you. In the not too distant future they will be declaring you permanently defective :D

As to the subject of this thread, sorry but it's a bad move. The costs are too great. Look at Coke and their attempt to make a "healthier" product in Coke Life. What happened? When you're in the supermarket you have a choice between buying regular Coke at a unit price of 25 cents per can, or Coke Life at a unit price of (if memory serves me the exact number from my last trip to the store) 83 cents per can.

When given a choice, in nearly all situations consumers buy the cheaper option.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Just wait. Yesterday's liberal is tomorrow's conservative.

Take a good look at everyone younger than you. In the not too distant future they will be declaring you permanently defective :D

As to the subject of this thread, sorry but it's a bad move. The costs are too great. Look at Coke and their attempt to make a "healthier" product in Coke Life. What happened? When you're in the supermarket you have a choice between buying regular Coke at a unit price of 25 cents per can, or Coke Life at a unit price of (if memory serves me the exact number from my last trip to the store) 83 cents per can.

When given a choice, in nearly all situations consumers buy the cheaper option.

Since my earliest memories I have been hundreds of years ahead of my time. Later, I became a timeless thinker. I am here now to serve you on that quest. Do not worry about anything.