candles...like em or hate em?

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
for some reason I have always liked candles. I have one in every room of the house except the boy's room. There is usually at least one going when I am here.

How do you feel about them, and what is your favorite scent? Vanilla is my scent of choice.

mercanucaribe

Banned
Oct 20, 2004
To me, candles aren't for scent but for heat and light. If you use them for smell, well maybe you should sharpen your man card and and use it to shave your legs or something. If you want smell, that's what incense is for. If you like the fruity candles smell, don't invite me to your house!

Safeway

Lifer
Jun 22, 2004
Did you know that burning a scented candle indoors for 1 hour releases the same amount of harmful chemicals/soot that smoking a pack of cigs indoors does?

If you want to flame me, don't. I go to UT and this was an experiement I conducted while studying indoor air pollution. The cigarettes were allowed to burn slowly or sporadically attached to special "smoking device" that exhaled. Basically a bag with an extra hole that you pump.

Orsorum

Lifer
Dec 26, 2001
Originally posted by: Safeway
Did you know that burning a scented candle indoors for 1 hour releases the same amount of harmful chemicals/soot that smoking a pack of cigs indoors does?

If you want to flame me, don't. I go to UT and this was an experiement I conducted while studying indoor air pollution. The cigarettes were allowed to burn slowly or sporadically attached to special "smoking device" that exhaled. Basically a bag with an extra hole that you pump.

:Q

Was this published?

cjgallen

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2003

Exactly.

I HATEHATEHATEHATEHATEHATE candles.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
# Candles cause an average of 9,400 fires and about 90 deaths each year in the U.S. Many of these fatalities occur under emergency circumstances. (National Fire Protection Association)
# Reports show that 41% of home fires involving candles are caused by candles either left unattended or negligently placed too close to combustible material. (U.S. Fire Administration)
# Reports indicate that 45% of home fires involving candles start in the bedroom. (USFA)http://www.kiddeus.com/Hurricane+Stats.shtml

alm4rr

Diamond Member
Dec 21, 2000
Originally posted by: Orsorum

:Q

Was this published?

this was in the news a month or 2 ago

Safeway

Lifer
Jun 22, 2004
Yep, it most definately was. UT is at the top of Universities research wise. And yes, it was published and well documented.

cavemanmoron

Lifer
Mar 13, 2001
Originally posted by: rudeguy
for some reason I have always liked candles. I have one in every room of the house except the boy's room. There is usually at least one going when I am here.

How do you feel about them, and what is your favorite scent? Vanilla is my scent of choice.

I use flourescent bulbs.

They are less likely to start a fire;than candles.

Scented candles bother my asthma.:(

Black88GTA

Diamond Member
Sep 9, 2003
I never use them. That said, I have probably 20 very nice scented candles sitting at my apartment in boxes. I get them free from work on occasion, but don't know what to do with them. Save 'em for power outages, I guess :shrug;.

Ornery

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
They can make for a very romantic mood, BUT THEY STINK! It's a love/hate thing I guess.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
eh... I have no particular affinity for them other than for the effects they have on women and the butt stink in the bathroom.