Candidate Q6600 system for moderate overclocking

nullptr

Aug 20, 2004
After some research, I have a candidate parts list for a Q6600-based gaming-capable workstation (emphasis workstation). I have built a few computers before, but this will be the first system I attempt to overclock. I realize there is no hard drive, I am planning to reuse the disk from my last (dead) system.

The video card might seem a bit "over-spec" for a workstation spec, but I'll be pairing with a 30" display, so I'm not sure I can cut many corners on video memory. I'm more of a console gamer, but I like some PC games like Civilization IV and Rollercoaster Tycoon. And I wouldn't mind being able to run last-generation-to-current-generation games at my display resolution (Crysis looks pretty sweet).

Would using the larger memory DIMMs jeopardize my overclocking desires (looking to target around 2.8ghz)? Is there a better choice in that size? It's important to me to leave myself some memory expansion overhead, as long as it doesn't completely disqualify my target OC. Lots and lots of server apps and virtual machines running on my systems ... so that's by far the most likely future upgrade on this machine.

Anyways, I'd appreciate your taking a look and letting me know if you see any red flags. Thanks in advance -- oh, and don't hesitate to be mean. I don't have any personal connections to anything in this list.

1. LIAN LI PC-V1200Bplus II Black Aluminum ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail
  1. GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3P LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
  1. EVGA 768-P2-N831-AR GeForce 8800GTX 768MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Video Card - Retail
  1. SeaSonic S12 Energy Plus SS-650HT ATX12V/EPS12V, 80Plus, Active PFC, RoHS, 2PCI-E(6Pin), 650W Power Supply - Retail
  1. Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz LGA 775 Processor Model BX80562Q6600 - Retail
  1. Patriot eXtreme Performance 4GB(2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model PDC24G6400ELK - Retail
  1. Sony NEC Optiarc 18X DVD±R DVD Burner with 12X DVD-RAM Write Black SATA Model AD-7170S-0B - OEM
  1. Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme CPU Cooler - Retail
  1. Scythe S-FLEX SFF21F 120mm Case Fan - Retail
  1. LIAN LI C-01B CD/DVD ROM Aluminum Bezel - Retail

stevty2889

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2003
Not sure thats the best motherboard for overclocking a quad core, and those gigabyte boards tend to be very picky when it comes to memory. If they need more than 1.8v by default, the board tends to not post, not sure if they fixed that in later revisions.
The EVGA 680i A1 board, is one of the better ones for quad cores, not sure how the new P35 chipset boards are doing.

Using 2x2gb sticks isn't going to limit your overclocking, you'll be limited by heat from the quad core far before the memory becomes a factor. I'm using water, and running in the mid 60's at 3.1ghz. I get the same overclock weather I use 2x1gb sticks, 2x2gb sticks, or my current setup of 2x2gb and 2x1gb together..

You also didn't list another very important component..the power supply..make sure to get a quality PSU, such as seasonic or enermax. The corsair PSU's are also quite good.

nullptr

Aug 20, 2004
Thanks for the advice. I was looking hard at that very 680i board (the cheaper T1, actually, which is the same board), but it seemed to have more than its fair share of horror stories. The SLI capability isn't terribly important to me, so I concluded that it wasn't worth the extra $$$. You've convinced me to take another look though.

The PSU is hiding in that list, it's a 650w Seasonic. I have had nothing but great luck with them in the past. I've been going back and forth on whether to go 550w or 650w, but the price difference isn't that big, and it leaves some head room.