Cancer Survivor Teen Suspended From School for 'Locks of Love'

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

actuarial

Platinum Member
Jan 22, 2009
I think thats because there are some very obvious differences between boys and girls other than just skin color or minor physical differences. As such trying to compare gender equality with racial equality will always be tricky and - IMO - inappropriate for discussions like this. Gender vs race should be handled differently because it IS different

To take the segregation issue you are so fond of :)P) we still have bathrooms segregated by gender but no longer by race

I know I said I'd stop, but your 'FTFY' got me all riled up :p

I do agree that they are not perfectly comparable, and boys and girls are different other than just superficial physical differences. I in no way advocate for the same treatment among genders in all cases (such as washroom segregation), I just advocate for not arbitrarily discriminating against people based on their gender alone.

This is already partially enshrined in law in both Canada and the US, at least in terms of treatment under the law and fair labour practices. Whether it should extend this far is hard to determine, as the part of me that wants the government to mind its own business is at odds with the part of me that wants my children to grow up in a country where how they choose to live their lives won't be affected by their gender.

spacejamz

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
When I was a freshman/sophomore, I donated mine to locks of love and 90% of my classmates had no idea my hair was well below shoulder length. I came in without a hat the day before I donated it with my hair at full length and everyone thought it was a wig, then was nearly bald the very next day after I had it shaved off and turned it in for donation.

What was your school's policy for boy's hair?

Gillbot

Lifer
Jan 11, 2001
What was your school's policy for boy's hair?

Public school, there wasn't one. I just didn't let anyone really know on my own accord. It was revealed later because they decided to implement a ban on headwear and hats so I figured it was time to donate it. I was hoping to get it a bit longer before donation but the hat ban expedited my donation time.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Shitty situation. The school can certainly enforce the rules, but it is a horrible PR stance and makes them look cold hearted.

If I was him, I would wait the 6 months, graduate, then grow it out. Cancer isn't gonna be cured before then.

spacejamz

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
Oh no. You came up with the analogy. You explain how it's relevant. Entertain us.

Fair enough...

Family agreed to school's terms before enrolling. Family breaks agreement by breaking school rule in name of charity.

I agree to mortgage by signing contract. I renege on my obligation in name of charity.

How's that???

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
Shitty situation. The school can certainly enforce the rules, but it is a horrible PR stance and makes them look cold hearted.

If I was him, I would wait the 6 months, graduate, then grow it out. Cancer isn't gonna be cured before then.

I don't think it's that bad of a PR stance. If I had a kid or two in that school i'd be happy that the administration was upholding the terms of the contract. This one kid should not get special treatment for his "claimed" reason.

Xellos2099

Platinum Member
Mar 8, 2005
Well, The school have everything right to ban it BUT, it is also a jackass move. Just because there is a rule doesn't made it right. We ALL agree prohibition is a stupid law, right? This is the problem with zero tolerance, an educator MUST have the ability to tell if the situation call for it or not and not to use rule as a shield for their decision.

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000
Here's another one. I have to keep my lawn mowed to 3 inches constantly because my HOA dictates it. I mean it's MY LAWN right? i should decide if I want to grow it out? What if I wanted to paint my house bright purple?

Freedom of expression is NOT enshrined in law. Just as employer's can dictate no tattoos, private schools can dictate dress codes. Hair length is a dress code article. End of story.

If the kid was smart he would have hidden the hair under a hat with lots of clips. So long as he wasn't doing anything athletic, which by the looks of him he's not the athlete type, he would have had no problem hiding his hair length until it was time to cut it.

Just like when I join an HOA, my freedom of expression for my property and how I want it to look goes away when I agree to their rules. When a student decides to join a private school then they must adhere to the rules laid out by that school. Don't like it? Use an alternative such as a different private school, public school, or even home school. Forcing a school with a student body that has no problem for the most part with the current rules as laid out to change those rules for ONE child is preposterous.

The school can legally discriminate in this because hair length ad dress codes are not protected rights. Deal with it.

spacejamz

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
What if some kid claims he wants to this for charity, but changes his mind later? Should the school be able to force him to cut his hair??

thegimp03

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2004
While he may have wanted to do it for a good cause, he should have followed the school's rules.

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
As someone who wore a Burger King Crown to school for a month straight to protest the idiocy of our anti-head gear rules and as someone who recently donated his hair to Locks of Love I support this kid. Fucking stupid ass rules, if mother fuckers can put shit on their head for religious reasons or if girls can have long hair or wear dresses or skirts then ANYONE CAN. fucking stupid shit. equality is equality, special rules are for nazis.

spacejamz

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
As someone who wore a Burger King Crown to school for a month straight to protest the idiocy of our anti-head gear rules and as someone who recently donated his hair to Locks of Love I support this kid. Fucking stupid ass rules, if mother fuckers can put shit on their head for religious reasons or if girls can have long hair or wear dresses or skirts then ANYONE CAN. fucking stupid shit. equality is equality, special rules are for nazis.

No one forced this kid or his family to go this school and abide by the rules they have set.

Out of the all the schools he could have gone to, including public, they chose this one.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
Some of you apparently haven't experienced reality long enough. When you have a rule like that, let just one person break the rule, for whatever reason, and you're going to have:
Lots of other students who think of "wow, what a great reason to break this rule, too!"
And more importantly, legal precedence set which can be argued against you in court.

A couple recent cases off the top of my head: student wearing a shirt that was against the dress code (I can't recall what the slogan/message was that was printed on the shirt.) He was sent to the office to wear his shirt inside out. He refused. He was sent home. Parents sued. Parents won: why? Because he had worn that shirt on one prior day to the school and no one happened to notice. Thus, the school's claim that the dress code rule, in place to avoid distractions or incidents from inciteful speech on a shirt was too broad, as it had been demonstrated that there was no problem when he previously wore that shirt. That opens a big can of worms - because now you're left trying to write a dress-code that is specific enough, but not too specific (nor too broad.)

I believe there was another suit related to a lesbian couple who wanted to go to the prom & one female wanted to wear a tux. That's happened numerous times, and only a few schools have administrators stupid enough to take that one on - because they lose every time.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
I don't think it's that bad of a PR stance. If I had a kid or two in that school i'd be happy that the administration was upholding the terms of the contract. This one kid should not get special treatment for his "claimed" reason.

I can't say the same. I try to teach my children compassion. I believe his cause is just, and he's not doing it after someone else has. Based on his past, and present situation, I would argue differently than you. That's how I feel with the information at hand.

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
I can't say the same. I try to teach my children compassion. I believe his cause is just, and he's not doing it after someone else has. Based on his past, and present situation, I would argue differently than you. That's how I feel with the information at hand.

Thank you for your well reasoned and compassionate thoughts. We'll still disagree, but I certainly respect your point of view.

spacejamz

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003

Would you encourage him to just start growing his hair in defiance of authority??

Or would you have him talk to school officials explaining the situation first? And if that failed, maybe going to a new station? Or start the petition that was mentioned in the article to get the rule changed before you start growing your hair.

There are different ways to go about getting your message across that would probably been more successful than acting like a your kid is super special and that the rules need to be broken just for him.