Canceled my newspaper

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Upside: Won't have problem of too much newsprint around the house.

Downside: I'm Jonesing!

Glancing at topics on these forums I am having regrets.

I was getting the SF Chronicle Wednesday through Sunday, but they jacked up the rate (triple! Was paying $15/6 months, they want ~$48 now) so I said "cancel."

Is it possible to be "informed" without subscribing to a newspaper? What do you do? Where do you get your information? I tend to watch an hour or so of TV news, but they bug me a lot of the time, I get the feeling I'm wasting my time watching that a lot of the time, am tempted to fast forward through a lot of it (I timeshift), am appalled that most of the commercials are for medications (almost all!), and TV news very often only serves to make me sleepy! I'm in Berkeley, CA.

I know that the Chronicle sucks except for a few articles and a lot of the syndicated articles, but it seems like the best local paper. I do live ~2 minutes from the library, so I could scoot over there on my bike and read their papers.

compuwiz1

Admin Emeritus Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
A news paper provides late info. I don't understand why they call news print "news". It should be called olds. (no I'm not calling out oldsmoboat) :laugh:

I personally do not subscribe. I can get everything I need online and more up to date.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Originally posted by: compuwiz1
A news paper provides late info. I don't understand why they call news print "news". It should be called olds. (no I'm not calling out oldsmoboat) :laugh:

I personally do not subscribe. I can get everything I need online and more up to date.
Congrats! Where online to you go for that info?

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
I am online only, these days P&N, drudgereport (shame on me), and finance.yahoo.com and money.cnn.com.

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
news.google.com

Has stories and links to a few thousand daily periodicals. Should keep you busy.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Originally posted by: AstroManLuca
Reading is for losers.

America invented TV and movies for a reason.

:D

One of the very best informed persons I know is a huge movie buff. But he does not own a television.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
I still take the local paper. I don't live in a large city, and it is really the best resource for what is happening locally. I enjoy local news about- biz, sports, entertainment, dining, and events.

MovingTarget

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2003
I like reading the paper, but I've often found the cost to be unjustified given what I make. There are plenty of electronic means to get your news, which is a good thing if you live in an area whose (sole) newspaper is heavily biased in any particular direction. You really aren't given much choice in newspapers nowadays as most have either been gobbled up by larger media corps or have gone belly-up. You just need to be sure you don't get more news from AT than you probably should. Same goes for any internet source. I think you'll be fine without it though.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
news.google.com is a total mess, somehow it's busy with crap and takes a lot of scrolling, even in "headlines only" mode. What's a better one? I actually love drudge's layout and the fact he colors or bolds some headlines. Is there a more professional aggregator that does this?

krunchykrome

Lifer
Dec 28, 2003
I read all of my news online. Baltimore Sun for local news and cnn.com and google news for national/world news.

For news related to my profession, I have magazines/paper news mailed.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
I used to subscribe to the Boston Globe but stopped b/c I can get access to everything via their website for free. I still pick-up the Sunday Globe for advertisements.

brencat

Platinum Member
Feb 26, 2007
1. Bloomberg (going to be sad if I ever have to give this service up)
2. Economist
3. Online (variety of reasonably credible sources)

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
I stopped my morning paper last year because subscription rates kept going up and up...till they offered me the "Student Rate" which was a HUGE savings. I now pay $39/year for 7 days per week.
I'm one of those old-timers who wants the paper on the front porch (not on the lawn, not in the bushes, not under my car) by 6:00 a.m., and the carrier we have not only porches the paper, but hangs it on my doorknob for me. (he delivers a car-route, not a walking route, so it's extra work/time for him...he gets an extra $20 at X-Mas in thanks.)

Evander

Golden Member
Jun 18, 2001
Local newspapers are great for local news and events and yes, even advertisements. Coupons too. For national news I stick to tv and internet

Possessed Freak

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 1999
I get the free local ad paper. It runs bi monthly, and I absolutely refuse to collect it. There they sit holding down my porch in an ever growing pile, yellowing with age. Amazingly, when I have at least 4 papers on my porch, they stop delivery... but when a 'helpful' friend stops by and picks them up for me, (normally making some snide comment about me not keeping my house appearance up), I then start receiving them again. Gosh darn it, I hate training delivery people!

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
work buys the paper. my paper also puts all of its content online for free with no password (that last part has led it to becoming one of the most popular news sites around).

dphantom

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2005
Originally posted by: DAPUNISHER
I still take the local paper. I don't live in a large city, and it is really the best resource for what is happening locally. I enjoy local news about- biz, sports, entertainment, dining, and events.

+1

I too get the local newspaper so I know what is happening here. Otherwise, I use the DrudgeReport as a jumping off point for other major news outlets.

Oct 30, 2004
Originally posted by: MuseIs it possible to be "informed" without subscribing to a newspaper? What do you do? Where do you get your information?

There's this thing called the Internet where hundreds of new hot-off-the-presses news articles are published every day. Maybe you've heard of it?