Canceled my newspaper

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Originally posted by: WhipperSnapper
Originally posted by: MuseIs it possible to be "informed" without subscribing to a newspaper? What do you do? Where do you get your information?

There's this thing called the Internet where hundreds of new hot-off-the-presses news articles are published every day. Maybe you've heard of it?

Uh, sarcastic? A newspaper is a lot easier to deal with. Turn the page, change the section. The internet is slow. Broadband is fine, but slow, but way slower is web servers. You can wait 1/2 a minute or more sometimes for a page to come up. It's fucking cumbersome, idiot! Look, I know. I got the newspaper for over 15 years without interruption. I've had broadband internet for over ten years. I know the difference!

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
Originally posted by: Muse
Originally posted by: MuseIs it possible to be "informed" without subscribing to a newspaper? What do you do? Where do you get your information?

There's this thing called the Internet where hundreds of new hot-off-the-presses news articles are published every day. Maybe you've heard of it?

Uh, sarcastic? A newspaper is a lot easier to deal with. Turn the page, change the section. The internet is slow. Broadband is fine, but slow, but way slower is web servers. You can wait 1/2 a minute or more sometimes for a page to come up. It's fucking cumbersome, idiot!

1/2 a minute? Sounds like you need a better internet connection and computer.

edit - And use an ad blocker

edit2 - And when you read a newspaper, you're reading yesterday's news.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Originally posted by: Capt Caveman

Uh, sarcastic? A newspaper is a lot easier to deal with. Turn the page, change the section. The internet is slow. Broadband is fine, but slow, but way slower is web servers. You can wait 1/2 a minute or more sometimes for a page to come up. It's fucking cumbersome, idiot!

Ad blocker? That's going to speed up my pages loading? My internet connection is 2.7 m/s. My pages sometimes don't load quickly, and I'm sure it's because the servers aren't coming up with the pages, not my connection. My computer isn't the bottleneck either. It's the sites. I don't usually have to wait 1/2 minute for pages to load. Anyway, it's never going to be as fast as just glancing around a big newspaper page and deciding what you want to read and what you don't want to read. On a webpage, there are links, and every link takes time to load. It's a drag.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005

Ad blocker? That's going to speed up my pages loading? My internet connection is 2.7 m/s. My pages sometimes don't load quickly, and I'm sure it's because the servers aren't coming up with the pages, not my connection. My computer isn't the bottleneck either. It's the sites. I don't usually have to wait 1/2 minute for pages to load. Anyway, it's never going to be as fast as just glancing around a big newspaper page and deciding what you want to read and what you don't want to read. On a webpage, there are links, and every link takes time to load. It's a drag.

Not sure what websites you're reading but any website I read for news takes a second to load.

A newspaper is nice when I'm sitting on the toilet but having to sift thru the pages to read the continuation of an article is annoying.

And yes, an ad blocker will speed-up the loading of web pages. It reduces the number of graphics that need to be load but also reduces the number of links/servers that the browser needs to go to render the page.

edit - what browser are you using? Some are much faster than others.

Also, I use to subscribe to The Boston Globe 7 days a week and read the paper from cover to cover. But the cost and convenience of reading the whole paper online made me discontinue my subscription.

Baked

Lifer
Dec 28, 2004
My parents read the news paper everyday. I get all my news from sfgate.com, the local newspaper's website.

gevorg

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2004
I stopped buying newspapers after I got dial-up in the late 90s. I do occasionally buy special editions of magazines such as the Economist.

Newspapers should be renamed to "Yesterday's News".

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001

Not sure what websites you're reading but any website I read for news takes a second to load.

A newspaper is nice when I'm sitting on the toilet but having to sift thru the pages to read the continuation of an article is annoying.

And yes, an ad blocker will speed-up the loading of web pages. It reduces the number of graphics that need to be load but also reduces the number of links/servers that the browser needs to go to render the page.

edit - what browser are you using? Some are much faster than others.

Also, I use to subscribe to The Boston Globe 7 days a week and read the paper from cover to cover. But the cost and convenience of reading the whole paper online made me discontinue my subscription.

I'm using Firefox, 3.x on my main PC, and looks like 2.x on my laptop. Don't know if an adblocker is in effect, but I don't recall seeing ads.

I was in the habit of reading the newspaper on my bed.