Discussion Canberry sauce and Relish, how to make.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
So I found a recipe for both cranberry sauce and relish as I decided to make my own sauce this year. But I'm not sure about this one due to the amount of sugar needed. Is the sugar really needed?
Being diabetic I do want to skip the sugar if I can.

Cranberry Relish is something I never had before and would like to try this.

So how do my fellow geeks here make both of theirs?

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I made it one year with my daughter. Can't remember the exact recipe, but it was cranberries, orange, and sugar. Super easy, and turned out great. You can cut the sugar somewhat, but it really is needed to temper the cranberries. Just don't eat too much.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
I made it one year with my daughter. Can't remember the exact recipe, but it was cranberries, orange, and sugar. Super easy, and turned out great. You can cut the sugar somewhat, but it really is needed to temper the cranberries. Just don't eat too much.
Dude, I actually eat the cranberries by themselves. I think I can handle the tartness since the fruit isn't all that tart as people say it is. It is the same thing with so called tart cherries. A can of those isn't tart at all. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

• Wow
Reactions: Ken g6

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
first you cut up your cans and grind them into a fine dust, then add 8 cups of sugar, 2 cups of water, and simmer lightly until reduced into a thick, pungent sauce that tastes vaguely of aluminum and rust.

• Haha
Reactions: Ken g6

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Dude, I actually eat the cranberries by themselves. I think I can handle the tartness since the fruit isn't all that tart as people say it is. It is the same thing with so called tart cherries. A can of those isn't tart at all. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

You haven't had raw cranberries, then.

It's hilarious--back when various cities were passing their anti-sugary beverage laws, among many complaints and lawsuits, Ocean Spray submitted an argument in their lawsuit(s) claiming, I shit you not, "Our product is incompatible for human consumption without including the standard amount of sugar" (I'm paraphrasing, but they certainly argued to a court that they sell a food product that humans can't normally consume without severely risking diabeetus)

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
You haven't had raw cranberries, then.

It's hilarious--back when various cities were passing their anti-sugary beverage laws, among many complaints and lawsuits, Ocean Spray submitted an argument in their lawsuit(s) claiming, I shit you not, "Our product is incompatible for human consumption without including the standard amount of sugar" (I'm paraphrasing, but they certainly argued to a court that they sell a food product that humans can't normally consume without severely risking diabeetus)
Dude I have four bags of cranberries in my Fringed right now. One has been opened and dumped in a Ziploc bag and snacked from. What in Hell do you mean I haven't had raw Cranberries? :rolleyes:

I have been eating them for a number of years now. They aren't sweet t all, just tart.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Dude I have four bags of cranberries in my Fringed right now. One has been opened and dumped in a Ziploc bag and snacked from. What in Hell do you mean I haven't had raw Cranberries? :rolleyes:

I have been eating them for a number of years now. They aren't sweet t all, just tart.
yeah, no one claims that they are sweet. Just tart beyond normal human tolerance. You might have a lead tongue.

also not sure that those in the bag are truly raw--as in, like an apple straight off the tree is raw. After picking, raw cranberries are typically floated in ponds for several days before processed in any way--I don't know if this leeches out natural bitterness or what, but I don't think you can actually purchase truly raw cranberries anywhere.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
yeah, no one claims that they are sweet. Just tart beyond normal human tolerance. You might have a lead tongue.

also not sure that those in the bag are truly raw--as in, like an apple straight off the tree is raw. After picking, raw cranberries are typically floated in ponds for several days before processed in any way--I don't know if this leeches out natural bitterness or what, but I don't think you can actually purchase truly raw cranberries anywhere.
That I didn't know. I wonder why they do that for? And no I don't have lead tongue. :rolleyes: How tart are they to you?

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
That I didn't know. I wonder why they do that for? And no I don't have lead tongue. :rolleyes: How tart are they to you?

I've never eaten a raw-raw cranberry, but I've sampled some sauce I have made, while making it....to determine that it still needs more honey. more honey even....and some more honey still.

And I hate sugary things. ...now that I think about it, I think it's that raw cranberries are horribly bitter more than they are tart...or something.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
I've never eaten a raw-raw cranberry, but I've sampled some sauce I have made, while making it....to determine that it still needs more honey. more honey even....and some more honey still.

And I hate sugary things. ...now that I think about it, I think it's that raw cranberries are horribly bitter more than they are tart...or something.
I have eaten them straight from the bag for maybe four years now. I just happen to notice them when grocery shopping and decided to try them and they are cheap too. I pay something like a ~$1 per bag.

Luna1968

Golden Member
Mar 9, 2019

you are really arguing with a guy about if he is eating raw cranberries or not? stop trolling man.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
you are really arguing with a guy about if he is eating raw cranberries or not? stop trolling man.
Beg your Pardon??? How is he trolling exactly?

On another note. Am I the only who person who eats cranberries straight from the bag? I went over to the office of the Housing I live at and only two people tried them. o_O I mean cranberries are really not all that tart at all.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Beg your Pardon??? How is he trolling exactly?

On another note. Am I the only who person who eats cranberries straight from the bag? I went over to the office of the Housing I live at and only two people tried them. o_O I mean cranberries are really not all that tart at all.
I've never tried them, but I'm also of the understanding that the reason 100% cranberry juice is uncommon on store shelves is due to the tartness.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
I've never tried them, but I'm also of the understanding that the reason 100% cranberry juice is uncommon on store shelves is due to the tartness.
Yeah I've one of women case managers drinking some from one of those small water cups they serve our meds in and oh boy I never seen anyone's face pucker up like hers did.:oops:

I could barely stop myself from laughing due the way she looked. I finally find some unsweetened 100% cranberry juice.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
Well I drunk some unsweetened Cranberry juice and I have say, I don't the drink that tart at all. The juice is drinkable and I enjoy consuming this.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
So you like raw cranberries and have some at home. So why haven't you made cranberry relish yet? Or are we going keep talking about your ability to eat raw cranberries?

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
It sounds like the amount of sugar he should use in the relish is none, since he'll be the only one eating it. So, now that's solved, he can move onto making it!
Hopefully he'll eat it on a hot dog, and post pics.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I can eat a couple raw cranberries, and I enjoy a couple, but I wouldn't want to eat a bunch in one sitting. I think your taster is messed up. I've had unsweetened cranberry juice, and it's the same thing. A little is good, but a tall glass would be undrinkable.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
So you like raw cranberries and have some at home. So why haven't you made cranberry relish yet? Or are we going keep talking about your ability to eat raw cranberries?
I just started thinking about that last night. Give some time geez, you wouldn't want me to make the dish with dirty dishes now would you? :rolleyes:

I can eat a couple raw cranberries, and I enjoy a couple, but I wouldn't want to eat a bunch in one sitting. I think your taster is messed up. I've had unsweetened cranberry juice, and it's the same thing. A little is good, but a tall glass would be undrinkable.
I can eat about a handful of cranberries and the juice, maybe a small cup of juice or two. But that is it. Otherwise I will get a stomachache.