Canadian Sniper quits army

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

stnicralisk

Golden Member
Jan 18, 2004
Originally posted by: kogase
Originally posted by: yllus
Sometimes I'm really disgusted by my country. Many in the Canadian military apparently shunned this guy after he worked with Americans in Afghanistan for 'getting close' with them. He's right - f%!k terrorism.

Nice to see you're 100% A-OK with throwing our civility out when our enemies do. My culture (American) taught me to respect the dead, enemy or friend.

GUANTANIMO (SP)!
We dont respect the enemy while theyre ALIVE!!

kogase

Diamond Member
Sep 8, 2004
Originally posted by: stnicralisk
Originally posted by: kogase
Originally posted by: yllus
Sometimes I'm really disgusted by my country. Many in the Canadian military apparently shunned this guy after he worked with Americans in Afghanistan for 'getting close' with them. He's right - f%!k terrorism.

Nice to see you're 100% A-OK with throwing our civility out when our enemies do. My culture (American) taught me to respect the dead, enemy or friend.

GUANTANIMO (SP)!
We dont respect the enemy while theyre ALIVE!!

Read deeper into a 4 page thread before responding to a post on the first page.

Injury

Lifer
Jul 19, 2004
Originally posted by: mercanucaribe
Of course the guy is a badass, but defecating on a corpse isn't acceptable. This is the kind of guy who goes becomes the white van sniper. He's a walking archetype!

A bit too far, yes... but in some way I understand why he would do that and can't hold a grudge against him for it.

iskim86

Banned
Jul 6, 2001
www.isaackim.org
he cares if he plays with those bodies, it's war and it's dirty business. killing someone is more disrespectful than sh*tting on him/her or cutting their finger off. f*ck terrorism.

skace

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
When you rely on a guy to kill people day in and day out, I don't really care whether he sh!ts on a corpse or whatever. He does seem to have some issues, I'd draw the line if he started killing women and children or wearing ears of his kills around his neck. Honestly, it is easy to look at what he did and say "uh oh he's off the deep end", but they could have been drunk or just happy for once and relieving some stress. Maybe one of their soldiers just died. You don't really know. It's so easy to judge from a distance.

Dean

Platinum Member
Oct 10, 1999
I have mixed feelings. Yes maybe the guy went a little too far in most of our eyes. I don't think so though. You have to remember this happened shortly after 9-11. We all wanted Al-Qaida and the Taliban taken down at any cost. Who knows what kind of stuff they saw over there.

I don't really care what he did to the terrorists. What bothers me about him is not showing any compassion for the wounded American. I think the pressure got to him a bit.

He is a loose cannon it seems, especially for his job. His job is to fire and forget. It's not like he is fighting for his life in the trenches with a bayonet. Who are we to judge though really, as we were not there.

I remember when the article about his record breaking kill first came out, they mentioned that our Canadian Military do not like to use the term "kill". Shows you what type of pansy Gov't and Military this guy was was getting paid by. I don't blame him for quitting.

Dean the Embarrassed Canadian

Calin

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2001
Originally posted by: Kenazo
Originally posted by: bignateyk
wow... thats one well-tuned rifle to be accurate to 1.5 miles. Even if he adjusted for wind and everything, if the scope was slightly missaligned (like fractions of a millimeter), it would be off by several feet from that distance.

I think when it comes down to it, there still is a huge luck factor. He'd probably only be able to hit that again given the exact same conditions maybe 1 in 10 times.

This meant that the round had a flight time of four seconds, and a drop of 44.5 m (146 ft)

If you aim at the top of a 15-stories building, you will hit its base from that distance
and a man fast walking will move some 7 meters (20 feet) in those 4 seconds

shimsham

Lifer
May 9, 2002
i dont think hes nuts at all. govt wants him to kill people with no remorse, and he does. you have to have a "special" outlook to do that, which comes with its own quirks.

BooGiMaN

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2001
this guy has it all wrong, why become a mercenary when you can coem out with your own game based on your own experiences.....now thats where the money and glory are...like a GTA game but set in a battleground.....