Canadian Sniper quits army

bernse

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2000
Article

A Canadian Forces sniper who set a distance record by killing an al-Qaida fighter from more than two kilometres away has quit in frustration and may go into mercenary work.

Master Cpl. Arron Perry made national headlines twice in 2002: the first was anonymous, after he shot an al-Qaida fighter in Afghanistan from 2,430 metres, a world record.

The second was public and ugly. Perry, 33, and a 13-year veteran, was accused of discreditable conduct after he allegedly cut the finger off an al-Qaida corpse, defecated on another and then had his picture taken with a corpse that had a lit cigarette hanging from his lips and a sign around his neck reading "F**k Terrorism."

The investigation was eventually dropped and no charges were ever laid, but Perry's reputation was left in tatters.

A military ombudsman's investigation was launched into whether Perry and other snipers, who were seconded to an American unit to provide cover fire and support, were unfairly treated after their return from Afghanistan.
Five of the snipers received the Bronze Star from the U.S. military for their efforts, which included killing about 20 members of al-Qaida.

Perry, originally from Newfoundland, quit at the end of April.

"I retired because I didn't feel that I was being treated properly and I felt abandoned by the military," he said. "I don't trust anyone. "

Perry is still surprised at how upset some people got after his picture ran in a national newspaper next to the corpse.

"It's a dead body. Who cares? You know what, I was glad about that picture. Remember what that sign said? 'F**k Terrorism.' And I still say, 'f**k terrorism.'

"I saw the sign up there before the picture, and if I didn't like it, I would've taken it off."

Unlike some of his peers, Perry says he suffered no emotional problems following the mission and his conscience has never been bothered by the killing.

"It's never overly bothered me. I like what I do."

He said he seldom thinks about death.

"I was carrying this wounded American to safety once and he was bleeding real bad, and I don't know whether he lived or died. It never really occurred to me."

Perry, who was in charge of his sniper unit while in the field, said he'd like to have been made an instructor with the Forces after returning.

Despite his lengthy service, he'd never even picked up a sniper rifle, or even gone hunting in civilian life, before enrolling in the snipers in 1999.

His unit was so effective that their American counterparts wanted to work with them whenever possible, and some observers have credited them with almost single-handedly getting Canada onto the list of countries targeted for al-Qaida revenge.

Perry said he just has a natural talent for gathering intelligence and killing from distance. There's not much call for that in Canada so he is looking abroad for work.

"My passion is the military and what I was doing. I would want to carry on with that kind of role somewhere in the world, maybe in security or mercenary work," he said.

The ombudsman's office continues to investigate and expects to have a report ready this fall.

"We continue to have some issues with getting information from Defence but the ombudsman has indicated it will be a top priority," said spokesman Isabelle.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
If he quit, that only leaves Canada with one sniper left, doesn't it ? ;)

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
Sometimes I'm really disgusted by my country. Many in the Canadian military apparently shunned this guy after he worked with Americans in Afghanistan for 'getting close' with them. He's right - f%!k terrorism.

meltdown75

Lifer
Nov 17, 2004
he kicks too much ass to be in the Canadian military. he should definitely try to get into the US military, or like he says, be a mercenary. looks like he went to the Middle East and was fresh out of gum.

kogase

Diamond Member
Sep 8, 2004
Originally posted by: yllus
Sometimes I'm really disgusted by my country. Many in the Canadian military apparently shunned this guy after he worked with Americans in Afghanistan for 'getting close' with them. He's right - f%!k terrorism.

Nice to see you're 100% A-OK with throwing our civility out when our enemies do. My culture (American) taught me to respect the dead, enemy or friend.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Originally posted by: kogase

Nice to see you're 100% A-OK with throwing our civility out when our enemies do. My culture (American) taught me to respect the dead, enemy or friend.

Uh, we did far worse to living and dead Japanese soldiers in the Pacific during WWII.

marvdmartian

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2002
Typical. Train this guy to be a merciless killer, then shun him when he does it. :(

Oh, and doing a conversion of that distance, it comes out to over 1.5 miles distance. Dang, don't tick this guy off!! ;)

kogase

Diamond Member
Sep 8, 2004
Originally posted by: K1052

Uh, we did far worse to living and dead Japanese soldiers in the Pacific during WWII.

Correction: some. I'll continue to uphold my morals no matter how many of my countrymen descend into hypocracy and degeneracy.

Mickey Eye

Apr 14, 2005
Originally posted by: marvdmartian
Typical. Train this guy to be a merciless killer, then shun him when he does it. :(

Oh, and doing a conversion of that distance, it comes out to over 1.5 miles distance. Dang, don't tick this guy off!! ;)

Atleast you won't see it coming.

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
Showing civility to a corpse? Who cares? I don't demand my country's soldiers to feel warm and fuzzy towards the bodies of those who up til a few minutes ago were trying to put a hole in them.

LuNoTiCK

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2001

The Japanese did just as bad to the Chinese and Koreans. They did worse to civilians.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
how much manual adjusting do you have to do with a sniper rifle like that at over 1.5 miles away ? I can't imagine it's simply point and shoot if he's the only one to do it.

Did he aim higher and accounted for wind, etc. ?

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003

Correction: some. I'll continue to uphold my morals no matter how many of my countrymen descend into hypocracy and degeneracy.

It is all too easy to sit on the high horse here, but who can say with certainty how they would react under such circumstances.

I do hope you are correct though.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Originally posted by: LuNoTiCK

The Japanese did just as bad to the Chinese and Koreans. They did worse to civilians.

I am aware of what they did.